with DEBUG/TRACE on, (ignorable) socket timeout exceptions in 5.1.5?

with DEBUG/TRACE on, (ignorable) socket timeout exceptions in 5.1.5?

Eric White-3
I've been tinkering with various DEBUG levels so I can understand how
Jetty is instrumented for debug (treating Jetty as a black box) and I've
noticed that when I have verbose debugging turned on, I get a slew of
LogSupport.ignore() exceptions that come through my LogSink as
SocketTimeoutExceptions with the detail message "Accept timed out"

Can anybody explain the origin/purpose of such traces?  or... is the
fact that these are occurring an indicator that I've got something
misconfigured? or non-optimally configured?

Re: with DEBUG/TRACE on, (ignorable) socket timeout exceptions in 5.1.5?

Martin Roos
  I think this very certain case is that the jetty listening socket isnt
100% blocking, after a certain timeout it throws the accept timed out
exception just to check if it should actually shut down instead of
waiting like a dummy on the socket and blocking the whole application
from shutting down ...

  No you haven't misconfigured anything, that message is meant to be
ignored as it isn't an error like exception, it's an exception to skip
accept lock for a while to check surroundings. Have you ever tried
exception based java programming ? That should enlighten you a bit.

Martin

Eric White wrote:

> I've been tinkering with various DEBUG levels so I can understand how
> Jetty is instrumented for debug (treating Jetty as a black box) and I've
> noticed that when I have verbose debugging turned on, I get a slew of
> LogSupport.ignore() exceptions that come through my LogSink as
> SocketTimeoutExceptions with the detail message "Accept timed out"
>
> Can anybody explain the origin/purpose of such traces?  or... is the
> fact that these are occurring an indicator that I've got something
> misconfigured? or non-optimally configured?

Re: with DEBUG/TRACE on, (ignorable) socket timeout exceptions in 5.1.5?

Eric,

I hate!

  try
  {
  }
  catch(Exception e)
  {}

So jetty always does at least a

  try
  {
  }
  catch(Exception e)
  {
     LogSupport.ignore(e);
  }

So you can see ALL exceptions if you need to.