understand how to set up system properties in start.ini

understand how to set up system properties in start.ini

mh@ow2.org
Hi everybody,

Recently I needed to set two system properties (maxFormContentSize
and maxFormKeys) which led to open the issue at
https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/issues/3388

I want to discuss this a bit further without polluting the issue
tracker.

On my system, I am using jetty.sh as described in
https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/9.4.15.v20190215/startup-unix-service.html ,
with separate jetty.base and jetty.home and all.

In $jetty.base, I have my start.ini which contains (without the
comments):

--module=http-forwarded
--module=console-capture
--module=http
jetty.http.port=1234
--module=deploy
jetty.deploy.extractWars=false

And there is the /etc/default/jetty:

JETTY_HOME=/path/to/jettyruntime
JETTY_BASE=/path/to/jettybase
TMPDIR=/path/to/tmp
JAVA_OPTIONS='-Xmx4096m
-Dorg.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormContentSize=600000
-Dorg.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormKeys=3000'

This configuration works properly.
Now my question : I've been told that I could set the two properties
within start.ini rather than in JAVA_OPTIONS but I don't understand how
I am supposed to do this. Btw that's the solution I would prefer so I
have *all* the jetty settings in the same file (ie, start.ini).

Just adding the following to start.ini doesn't work:

org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormContentSize=600000
org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormKeys=3000

...as I would have expected. So I guess there is something I
miss by reading the documentation. Could some can explain ?

Re: understand how to set up system properties in start.ini

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:31 AM Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Recently I needed to set two system properties (maxFormContentSize
> and maxFormKeys) which led to open the issue at
> https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/issues/3388
>
> I want to discuss this a bit further without polluting the issue
> tracker.
>
> On my system, I am using jetty.sh as described in
> https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/9.4.15.v20190215/startup-unix-service.html ,
> with separate jetty.base and jetty.home and all.
>
> In $jetty.base, I have my start.ini which contains (without the
> comments):
>
> --module=http-forwarded
> --module=console-capture
> --module=http
> jetty.http.port=1234
> --module=deploy
> jetty.deploy.extractWars=false
>
> And there is the /etc/default/jetty:
>
> JETTY_HOME=/path/to/jettyruntime
> JETTY_BASE=/path/to/jettybase
> TMPDIR=/path/to/tmp
> JAVA_OPTIONS='-Xmx4096m
> -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormContentSize=600000
> -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormKeys=3000'
>
> This configuration works properly.
> Now my question : I've been told that I could set the two properties
> within start.ini rather than in JAVA_OPTIONS but I don't understand how
> I am supposed to do this. Btw that's the solution I would prefer so I
> have *all* the jetty settings in the same file (ie, start.ini).
>
> Just adding the following to start.ini doesn't work:
>
> org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormContentSize=600000
> org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormKeys=3000
>
> ...as I would have expected. So I guess there is something I
> miss by reading the documentation. Could some can explain ?

-Dorg.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.maxFormContentSize=600000

in your start.ini.

Properties that start with -D are treated as system properties, rather
than Jetty properties.

--
Simone Bordet
http://webtide.com