quick question about SSL debugging in jetty

quick question about SSL debugging in jetty

Brian Reichert
I'm trying to track down an SSL configuration issue in my test
server, running jetty 9.3.8.  I ran into this page:

  http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/configuring-ssl.html

which says, among other things:

  You can enable the org.eclipse.jetty.util.ssl named logger at
  DEBUG level to see what the list of selected Protocols and Cipher
  suites are at startup of Jetty.

which is precisely what I'm trying to accomplish at this stage of
investigation.

Based on this page,

  http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/default-logging-with-stderrlog.html

what I think I should be doing should look like this:

  java -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.util.ssl.LEVEL=DEBUG -jar ../start.jar

but, this doesn't seem to yield the sort of output the prior URL would
imply.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

--
Brian Reichert <[hidden email]>
BSD admin/developer at large

Re: quick question about SSL debugging in jetty

Brian Reichert
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 01:34:26PM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
> what I think I should be doing should look like this:
>
>   java -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.util.ssl.LEVEL=DEBUG -jar ../start.jar
>
> but, this doesn't seem to yield the sort of output the prior URL would
> imply.

And just after I hit 'send', I found this resource:

  http://www.slideshare.net/RomanTeresch/jetty-tls-troubleshooting

which led me to a differnt list of arguments, which worked:

  java -jar ../start.jar  -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.util.ssl.LEVEL=DEBUG

I'm kinda surpised this order is important, but I'm over that hump.

Sorry for the noise...