pack200 in WEB-INF/lib?

Philippe Marschall
Hi

Using pack200 to compress .jars can make quite a difference. One of our
largest JARs goes from 10 MB to 1.5 MB. Although URLClassLoader can
handle them just fine no container I saw to far seems to support
.jar.pack.gz in WEB-INF/lib/. Probably because section 10.5 of the
servlet spec mentions only WEB-INF/lib/*.jar.

Is there any reason pack200 was not considered so far?

I posted this on the servlet mailing list [1] but of course got no reply.

 [1]
http://java.net/projects/servlet-spec/lists/users/archive/2012-03/message/31

Cheers
Philippe