newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

ae6rt
Hello.  I'm a jetty newbie.

My webapp consists of a war file A.war and a supporting jar file B.jar.  B never changes and is large, so large that uploading it to the hosting machine is time consuming, while A is rather small.  I could bundle A and B together into a single war, but constrained upstream bandwidth for uploading practically prohibits it.

Can someone please advise on what jetty operational idiom I can use to install B once, followed by installing A as needed during development.  Were I running under Tomcat, I'd probably put B in CATALINA_HOME/shared, then deploy A as as needed.

Thank you.

--
Mark

Re: newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

jan_bartel
Mark,

You can put it in $JETTY_HOME/lib/ext and it can be shared by all webapps.

Mark Petrovic wrote:

> Hello.  I'm a jetty newbie.
>
> My webapp consists of a war file A.war and a supporting jar file B.jar.
> B never changes and is large, so large that uploading it to the hosting
> machine is time consuming, while A is rather small.  I could bundle A
> and B together into a single war, but constrained upstream bandwidth for
> uploading practically prohibits it.
>
> Can someone please advise on what jetty operational idiom I can use to
> install B once, followed by installing A as needed during development.
> Were I running under Tomcat, I'd probably put B in CATALINA_HOME/shared,
> then deploy A as as needed.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Mark

Re: newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

ae6rt
Thank you, Jan.

Mark

Mark Petrovic wrote:

> Hello.  I'm a jetty newbie.
>
> My webapp consists of a war file A.war and a supporting jar file B.jar.
> B never changes and is large, so large that uploading it to the hosting
> machine is time consuming, while A is rather small.  I could bundle A
> and B together into a single war, but constrained upstream bandwidth for
> uploading practically prohibits it.
>
> Can someone please advise on what jetty operational idiom I can use to
> install B once, followed by installing A as needed during development.
> Were I running under Tomcat, I'd probably put B in CATALINA_HOME/shared,
> then deploy A as as needed.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Mark

Mark

Re: newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

ae6rt
Good day.

I got to thinking about this again, and while I'm probably being overly obsessive, would a JIRA issue to create another 'shared'-like directory meet with any support?  I see in lib/ext a lot of shipped, useful jetty jars.  jars that if I accidentally deleted one while maintining other application support jars would absolutely ruin my day, and which might go for a while unnoticed.

In operational situations, one looks at this directory, into which one may have copied a lot of supporting jars, and one sees a mix of distribution jars and application support jars.
It would be nice if we could somehow separate out the shipped jars from incidental application supporting jars.  In so doing, we could delete the application jars from their "special" directory without the fear of breaking anything that was shipped with the jetty distribution itself.

This suggestion may be a bit over the top, but I have tremendous respect for not messing with directories in which one finds distribution code.

Is there any merit to a directory just for application jars?

Thanks.

Mark Petrovic wrote:

> Hello.  I'm a jetty newbie.
>
> My webapp consists of a war file A.war and a supporting jar file B.jar.
> B never changes and is large, so large that uploading it to the hosting
> machine is time consuming, while A is rather small.  I could bundle A
> and B together into a single war, but constrained upstream bandwidth for
> uploading practically prohibits it.
>
> Can someone please advise on what jetty operational idiom I can use to
> install B once, followed by installing A as needed during development.
> Were I running under Tomcat, I'd probably put B in CATALINA_HOME/shared,
> then deploy A as as needed.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Mark

Mark

Re: newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

jan_bartel
Hi Mark,

Another choice for you. You can use the System property
jetty.class.path to specify an extra classpath for jetty,
which would allow you to choose where you'd like to put the
really big jar file. So you could do:

java -Djetty.class.path=/path/to/really/big.jar -jar start.jar

Also, if you put your big jar into lib/ext, you can always
guard against accidental deletion of other jars/dirs by using
file r/w permissions.

By all means raise a Jira if you like, and it'll be evaluated
(but personally I'm inclined to keep things simple by having a
single lib/ext directory).

Mark Petrovic wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>
>     > Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
>     > Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to
>     share your
>     > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn
>     cash
>     >
>     http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
>     <http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV>
>     >
>     >
>     >

> Mark

> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.

Re: newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

Jan, thank you.  The extra classpath specification will work just fine.  I like it.

Mark

Mark Petrovic wrote:

> [...]

>     >
>     -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     > Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
>     > Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to
>     share your
>     > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn
>     cash
>     >
>     http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
>     <http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV>
>     >
>     >
>     >

> Mark

> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.

Mark

Re: newbie question: organizing webapp jar files

Russell Howe
Mark Petrovic wrote, sometime around 02/02/07 16:12:
> Jan, thank you.  The extra classpath specification will work just fine.
> I like it.

You can also create subdirectories within lib/ext

e.g. I currently have lib/ext/myfaces and lib/ext/hibernate

The potential for having duplicate .jars does increase though, if you're
not careful.

--
Russell Howe