[newbie] How is jetty used now day?

sharrissf
First let me say that as a developer I am a huge fan of things that are lightweight. Because of that very fact I have embedded jetty in
a few products here and there. Despite that experience I feel like I
don't know much about it or the community surrounding it. As the terracotta community works to plan releases
one of the things that comes up is what platforms we should work to integrate with and jetty has come
up more than a few times because we all like it. So here is the question and I hope it's not an intrusion.

Do people who use jetty need clustering/distributed computing features? Should we integrate open terracotta
(an open source clustering solution). I'm trying to figure out if the two together is even practical or if the embedded
nature of jetty makes it too unlikely to need clustering?

Cheers,
Steven

www.terracotta.org

Re: [newbie] How is jetty used now day?

Greg Wilkins

Steve,

Clustering is indeed something that I am frequently asked for with Jetty
and we would definitely support integration with Terracotta for session
replication.

Note also, that I believe that Terracotta's great strength is actually
in replicating non-session data.  ie datastructures that are shared across
nodes (unlike sessions which are just replicated).

cheers

Steven Harris wrote:

> First let me say that as a developer I am a huge fan of things that are
> lightweight. Because of that very fact I have embedded jetty in
> a few products here and there. Despite that experience I feel like I
> don't know much about it or the community surrounding it. As the
> terracotta community works to plan releases
> one of the things that comes up is what platforms we should work to
> integrate with and jetty has come
> up more than a few times because we all like it. So here is the question
> and I hope it's not an intrusion.
>
> Do people who use jetty need clustering/distributed computing features?
> Should we integrate open terracotta
> (an open source clustering solution). I'm trying to figure out if the
> two together is even practical or if the embedded
> nature of jetty makes it too unlikely to need clustering?

> Cheers,
> Steven
>
> www.terracotta.org

Greg Wilkins<[hidden email]>  US: +1  3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: [newbie] How is jetty used now day?

sharrissf
Great!

Any chance anyone out there would want to pair up with one
of our engineers on cranking out some integration? It usually doesn't take
very long but we like to have community members involved. Funny thing is
that at least one of our samples uses jetty as a lightweight app server but
I think it's around version 4. Back then it didn't appear to do any
classloader foo (at least for the things we did) so it just worked.

The first effort might just be to upgrade the sample to use the latest greatest.

Cheers,
Steve

www.terracotta.org

Steven Harris wrote:
[...]

ogjunk-jetty1
Steve - +1 for Jetty clustering with Terracotta.

Otis
Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/ - Tag - Search - Share

Re: [newbie] How is jetty used now day?

jan_bartel
Hi Steven,

I've already started some work on using terracotta for session replication,
and was communicating with Jonas Boner about it. Unfortunately, as often
happens, I got distracted by other things :-(

Your email has pricked my conscience! I should be able to wake up
this work next week, and at least check in what I have to the
jetty-contrib svn repository so you and others can take a look at
it too.

It would be great if we could work together to make the terracotta session
integration as seemless as it is for that other web container ...
tomcat I think it's called :-)

Steven Harris wrote:

> Great!
>
> Any chance anyone out there would want to pair up with one
> of our engineers on cranking out some integration? It usually doesn't take
> very long but we like to have community members involved. Funny thing is
> that at least one of our samples uses jetty as a lightweight app server but
> I think it's around version 4. Back then it didn't appear to do any
> classloader foo (at least for the things we did) so it just worked.
>
> The first effort might just be to upgrade the sample to use the latest
> greatest.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> www.terracotta.org
>

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>

>> Steve,
>>
>> Clustering is indeed something that I am frequently asked for with Jetty
>> and we would definitely support integration with Terracotta for session
>> replication.
>>
>> Note also, that I believe that Terracotta's great strength is actually
>> in replicating non-session data.  ie datastructures that are shared across
>> nodes (unlike sessions which are just replicated).
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> Steven Harris wrote:
>>> First let me say that as a developer I am a huge fan of things that are
>>> lightweight. Because of that very fact I have embedded jetty in
>>> a few products here and there. Despite that experience I feel like I
>>> don't know much about it or the community surrounding it. As the
>>> terracotta community works to plan releases
>>> one of the things that comes up is what platforms we should work to
>>> integrate with and jetty has come
>>> up more than a few times because we all like it. So here is the question
>>> and I hope it's not an intrusion.
>>>
>>> Do people who use jetty need clustering/distributed computing features?
>>> Should we integrate open terracotta
>>> (an open source clustering solution). I'm trying to figure out if the
>>> two together is even practical or if the embedded
>>> nature of jetty makes it too unlikely to need clustering?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steven
>>>
>>> www.terracotta.org

>>> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
>>> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to
>>> share your
>>> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash
>>> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
>>> <http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV>

>> --
>> Greg Wilkins<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>  US: +1
>> 3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
>> http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: [newbie] How is jetty used now day?

sharrissf
Great!

Jonas and the rest of the gang are always available to help on e-mail as well as irc. We
are very excited about working with the jetty folks! No reason at all that we can't get jetty
integration to be as good or better than other containers :-)

Cheers,
Steve

www.terracotta.org

Steven Harris wrote:
[...]

Greg Wilkins<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>  US: +1
3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: [tc-dev] [newbie] How is jetty used now day?

Jonas Boner-4
Please let me/us know if you have any issues or questions. As Steve says, we are eager to help you get this done. ASAP. :-)

/Jonas

Steven Harris wrote:

> Great!
>
> Any chance anyone out there would want to pair up with one
> of our engineers on cranking out some integration? It usually doesn't take
> very long but we like to have community members involved. Funny thing is
> that at least one of our samples uses jetty as a lightweight app server but
> I think it's around version 4. Back then it didn't appear to do any
> classloader foo (at least for the things we did) so it just worked.
>
> The first effort might just be to upgrade the sample to use the latest
> greatest.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> www.terracotta.org
>

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>

>> Steve,
>>
>> Clustering is indeed something that I am frequently asked for with Jetty
>> and we would definitely support integration with Terracotta for session
>> replication.
>>
>> Note also, that I believe that Terracotta's great strength is actually
>> in replicating non-session data.  ie datastructures that are shared across
>> nodes (unlike sessions which are just replicated).
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> Steven Harris wrote:
>>> First let me say that as a developer I am a huge fan of things that are
>>> lightweight. Because of that very fact I have embedded jetty in
>>> a few products here and there. Despite that experience I feel like I
>>> don't know much about it or the community surrounding it. As the
>>> terracotta community works to plan releases
>>> one of the things that comes up is what platforms we should work to
>>> integrate with and jetty has come
>>> up more than a few times because we all like it. So here is the question
>>> and I hope it's not an intrusion.
>>>
>>> Do people who use jetty need clustering/distributed computing features?
>>> Should we integrate open terracotta
>>> (an open source clustering solution). I'm trying to figure out if the
>>> two together is even practical or if the embedded
>>> nature of jetty makes it too unlikely to need clustering?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steven
>>>
>>> www.terracotta.org

>>> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
>>> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to
>>> share your
>>> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash
>>> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
>>> <http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV>

>> --
>> Greg Wilkins<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>  US: +1
>> 3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
>> http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Person interested in Jetty/Terracotta from forums

sharrissf
Thought I would cross post this:

http://forums.terracotta.org/forums/posts/list/182.page

Cheers,