local filesystem independent jetty

sandy kumar
Hi,
I am new to Jetty and am wondering if there has been
any effort to provide a filesystem independent version
of Jetty. By filesystem independent, I mean a version
which can load jsps, servlets etc remotely from a URL
and may use the local filesystem only for temporary
work directory.

If not, then has anyone ever felt a need for the same
?

cheers,
sandie

Re: local filesystem independent jetty

Greg Wilkins-5

Sandy,

The resource mechanism in Jetty has been designed to be filesystem
independent.  You should be able to give a URL as a resource base
for a context and it *should* work fine.

This has been well tested with file: and jar:file: URLs,
but I have not tested it for some time with other types
of URLs.

But give it a go and yell if it does not work.

cheers

sandy kumar wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to Jetty and am wondering if there has been
> any effort to provide a filesystem independent version
> of Jetty. By filesystem independent, I mean a version
> which can load jsps, servlets etc remotely from a URL
> and may use the local filesystem only for temporary
> work directory.
>
> If not, then has anyone ever felt a need for the same
> ?
>
> cheers,
> sandie

> Get your fingers limbered up and give it your best shot. 4 great events, 4
> opportunities to win big! Highest score wins.NEC IT Guy Games. Play to
> win an NEC 61 plasma display. Visit http://www.necitguy.com/?r=20

Re: local filesystem independent jetty

Niclas Hedhman
On Sunday 08 May 2005 19:45, sandy kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Jetty and am wondering if there has been
> any effort to provide a filesystem independent version
> of Jetty. By filesystem independent, I mean a version
> which can load jsps, servlets etc remotely from a URL
> and may use the local filesystem only for temporary
> work directory.

As Greg mentioned, Jetty works perfectly well without a filesystem.
Over at DPML (http://www.dpml.net), I have assembled
 * Hangman application (non-webapp)
 * Jetty with WebApplicationContext
 * Tapestry
 * Tapestry view of the Hangman application
as a Metro system, which not only does not use any file system, nor file URLs,
nor http or ftp URLs either.

Instead, DPML Transit is a resource management system (which drives Metro),
that uses versioned content URIs instead.

For instance, the URL
  artifact:war:dpml/demo/hangman#1.0.1

can be handed over to Jetty and it will be downloaded from some configured
resource host and cached locally.
The War file, server.xml and web.xml are all referenced in this manner.

Now, there is an issue with the above solution, which I have not yet debugged.
The first http request will result in a Zip inflater exception (zip file in
zip file problem), which I think is somewhere in Jetty, but I am not totally
sure, and could be a combination of Jetty and Transit.
I consider this as a minor glitch for now.

Otherwise, I am extremely happy with Jetty being file system independent (does
it use /tmp ?) and that is more modular than most things I have seen,
allowing me to do just about any whacky setup, never thought of by the Jetty
team.

Keep up the good work all.

Cheers
Niclas

Niclas Hedhman <niclas <at> hedhman.org> writes:

> On Sunday 08 May 2005 19:45, sandy kumar wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am new to Jetty and am wondering if there has been
> > any effort to provide a filesystem independent version
> > of Jetty. By filesystem independent, I mean a version
> > which can load jsps, servlets etc remotely from a URL
> > and may use the local filesystem only for temporary
> > work directory.
>
> As Greg mentioned, Jetty works perfectly well without a filesystem.
> Over at DPML (http://www.dpml.net), I have assembled
>  * Hangman application (non-webapp)
>  * Jetty with WebApplicationContext
>  * Tapestry
>  * Tapestry view of the Hangman application
> as a Metro system, which not only does not use any file system, nor file URLs,
> nor http or ftp URLs either.
>
> Instead, DPML Transit is a resource management system (which drives Metro),
> that uses versioned content URIs instead.
>
> For instance, the URL
>   artifact:war:dpml/demo/hangman#1.0.1
>
> can be handed over to Jetty and it will be downloaded from some configured
> resource host and cached locally.
> The War file, server.xml and web.xml are all referenced in this manner.
>
> Now, there is an issue with the above solution, which I have not yet debugged.
> The first http request will result in a Zip inflater exception (zip file in
> zip file problem), which I think is somewhere in Jetty, but I am not totally
> sure, and could be a combination of Jetty and Transit.
> I consider this as a minor glitch for now.
>
> Otherwise, I am extremely happy with Jetty being file system independent (does
> it use /tmp ?) and that is more modular than most things I have seen,
> allowing me to do just about any whacky setup, never thought of by the Jetty
> team.
>
> Keep up the good work all.
>
> Cheers
> Niclas

> Get your fingers limbered up and give it your best shot. 4 great events, 4
> opportunities to win big! Highest score wins.NEC IT Guy Games. Play to
> win an NEC 61 plasma display. Visit http://www.necitguy.com/?r=20

Thanks Niclas. that was quite helpful and I had a chance to look at some of the
DPML stuff also which is quite interesting.

Greg, I noticed a bug in ModelInfoMBean.java file around line 786

    String methodKey=name+"(";
    for (int i=0;i<signature.length;i++)
      methodKey+=(i>0?",":"")+signature[i];
    methodKey+=")";

This may break the code for method with null signatures. my temp fix was to put
a check for null before checking for signatures.

    String methodKey=name+"(";
        if ( signature != null )
        for (int i=0;i<signature.length;i++)
            methodKey+=(i>0?",":"")+signature[i];
        methodKey+=")";

This worked for me and may help others also.

Is there any other way to report/fix these bugs?

Thanks for your help and good work.

cheers,
sandie

Re: local filesystem independent jetty