jetty5 or 6?

Edoardo Ceccarelli
Which jetty one should use in a production environment?

during last summer I have installed Jetty5 RC11 on my server and I have
a couple of sites in production (Axis webservices, simple jsps, ecc.)
Now I am realizing that the new Jetty5 is much more organized and
includes jetty plus.

On the other hand Jetty6 is out, 6.01, seems a bit slower but may be
only an impression developing on eclipse (haven't done any testing).

Shall I upgrade to the new 6 version or just a minor upgrade to final
version 5?

Thanks for your advice.
Edoardo

Re: jetty5 or 6?

jan_bartel
Edoardo,

Jetty 6 is where all development effort is going, whereas jetty 5
is slowly being retired. Jetty6 has been re-architected and slimmed
down and also offers you the possibility of taking advantage of web2.0
features in a scalable way (see http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Continuations
for information on Continuations and see the extras/cometd module for
Jetty's implementation of cometd (http://www.cometd.com/)).

6.0.1 is the current release of jetty6, although 6.1 is waiting in the
wings.

I think the only way you can decide wether to go for jetty5 upgrade
or move to jetty6 is to download jetty6, familiarize yourself with
it and do some testing with it in your own environment. Even if the
constraints of your situation mean that you cannot change to it
immediately, I recommend that you plan on doing so in the near future,
so some experimentation now will stand you in good stead.

Of course, if you want some professional help in converting your
application, there's always http://www.webtide.com :-)

Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote:

> Which jetty one should use in a production environment?
>
> during last summer I have installed Jetty5 RC11 on my server and I have
> a couple of sites in production (Axis webservices, simple jsps, ecc.)
> Now I am realizing that the new Jetty5 is much more organized and
> includes jetty plus.
>
> On the other hand Jetty6 is out, 6.01, seems a bit slower but may be
> only an impression developing on eclipse (haven't done any testing).
>
> Shall I upgrade to the new 6 version or just a minor upgrade to final
> version 5?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
> Edoardo

Re: jetty5 or 6?

Edoardo Ceccarelli
I have to upgrade anyway, can't stay with 5 RC11 cause it would be messy to start using plus,
I am really tempted to follow your advice and work on 6 to experiment a little bit and then upgrade server to 6 (big jump)
Unfortunately no funding is available for this upgrade, but am looking forward in the near future to start experimenting with Jetty on a pretty big web application - and I may need some support, can't wait for the day that I'll tell this client: "we are going to replace JRUN" :)

PS: about Ajax, Continuation seems really cool but for now I am stick to GWT.

Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote:

Which jetty one should use in a production environment?

during last summer I have installed Jetty5 RC11 on my server and I have
a couple of sites in production (Axis webservices, simple jsps, ecc.)
Now I am realizing that the new Jetty5 is much more organized and
includes jetty plus.

On the other hand Jetty6 is out, 6.01, seems a bit slower but may be
only an impression developing on eclipse (haven't done any testing).

Shall I upgrade to the new 6 version or just a minor upgrade to final
version 5?

Thanks for your advice.
Edoardo

Re: jetty5 or 6?

Russell Howe
Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote, sometime around 20/10/06 10:04:
> I have to upgrade anyway, can't stay with 5 RC11 cause it would be messy
> to start using plus,
> I am really tempted to follow your advice and work on 6 to experiment a
> little bit and then upgrade server to 6 (big jump)
> Unfortunately no funding is available for this upgrade, but am looking
> forward in the near future to start experimenting with Jetty on a pretty
> big web application - and I may need some support, can't wait for the
> day that I'll tell this client: "we are going to replace JRUN" :)

FYI, the quick & dirty notes I made when upgrading to Jetty 6 are:

* No more stop.jar
   - call start.jar with --stop argument (needs a key, which you set
when starting Jetty)
* No more JettyPlus start-plus.config
* No AJP13Listener, use Apache2 mod_proxy instead (Warning: Debian
sarge's apache2 package seems to be too old to have a decent mod_proxy)
* Use addConnector instead of addListener
   - SocketListener -> SelectChannelConnector or SocketConnector
* Configure Handlers
* addWebApplication -> creat & config. contexts
* Services changed:
   - MailService
   - DataSource
* ReportLog changed

Not very useful, I'm sure, but I noted them down quickly whilst I was
redoing jetty.xml and my startup script to work with my webapp.

--
Russell Howe

Re: jetty5 or 6?

Edoardo Ceccarelli
Thanks for the infos,
my major problem might actually be about the apache connector:
we are using mod_jk.c, do your know if I have to reconfigure it in some way?
also,
have you noticed any slowdown from 5 to 6?

Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote, sometime around 20/10/06 12:13:
> Thanks for the infos,
> my major problem might actually be about the apache connector:
> we are using mod_jk.c, do your know if I have to reconfigure it in some way?

There is no AJP13 connector last time I checked, but this may now be
written. If there is not AJP13 connector, you cannot use mod_jk. Last I
heard, the advice was to use Apache 2's mod_proxy.

AJP13 is definitely on the todo list, and may well be done - IIRC
there's a bug for it, so check the list of open bugs - if it's not
there, I guess it must have been done.

What I'd love is a reverse proxy handler for Jetty which allowed me to
apply HTTP auth using JAAS before allowing connections. That would
completely and utterly rock for me.

> also,
> have you noticed any slowdown from 5 to 6?

Neither slower nor faster, although I don't really monitor performance
and our site is very low traffic (company intranet).

--
Russell Howe

Re: jetty5 or 6?

ogjunk-jetty1
It would be great to have some official 5->6 docs on the site, and clarificaton about AJP13/mod_proxy.  Last I heard (6+ months back), mod_proxy was slower, or at least that's what people were saying.

Otis

Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote, sometime around 20/10/06 10:04:
> I have to upgrade anyway, can't stay with 5 RC11 cause it would be messy
> to start using plus,
> I am really tempted to follow your advice and work on 6 to experiment a
> little bit and then upgrade server to 6 (big jump)
> Unfortunately no funding is available for this upgrade, but am looking
> forward in the near future to start experimenting with Jetty on a pretty
> big web application - and I may need some support, can't wait for the
> day that I'll tell this client: "we are going to replace JRUN" :)

FYI, the quick & dirty notes I made when upgrading to Jetty 6 are:

* No more stop.jar
   - call start.jar with --stop argument (needs a key, which you set
when starting Jetty)
* No more JettyPlus start-plus.config
* No AJP13Listener, use Apache2 mod_proxy instead (Warning: Debian
sarge's apache2 package seems to be too old to have a decent mod_proxy)
* Use addConnector instead of addListener
   - SocketListener -> SelectChannelConnector or SocketConnector
* Configure Handlers
* addWebApplication -> creat & config. contexts
* Services changed:
   - MailService
   - DataSource
* ReportLog changed

Not very useful, I'm sure, but I noted them down quickly whilst I was
redoing jetty.xml and my startup script to work with my webapp.

--
Russell Howe

Re: jetty5 or 6?

Greg Wilkins
[hidden email] wrote:
> It would be great to have some official 5->6 docs on the site, and clarificaton about AJP13/mod_proxy.  Last I heard (6+ months back), mod_proxy was slower, or at least that's what people were saying.

Your millage may vary - but the reports I have heard is that mod_proxy
is faster than mod_jk - at least for Jetty anyway.

There is a ajp connector in trunk and in the soon to be released
6.1.0pre0 - but it has not received very much testing.

Greg Wilkins<[hidden email]>  US: +1  3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631