[jetty-users] manual installation instructions, is this the best guide (see link)?

[jetty-users] manual installation instructions, is this the best guide (see link)?

S Ahmed
When in comes to manually installing jetty, the best guide I have found is:  http://oliverpelz.blogspot.com/2011/08/installing-jetty-hightide-745-under.html

So this includes:

1. downloading the latest release
2. setting up users/permissions
3. config directories like:
  /var/log/jetty
  /etc/default/jetty
4. wiring up the startup script with PID

Is there something more official or that blog post basically has all one needs?

Re: [jetty-users] manual installation instructions, is this the best guide (see link)?

Jesse McConnell-5
It looks fine in general.

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

http://webtide.com / http://intalio.com
(the folks behind jetty and cometd)

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:42, S Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> any comments? :)
>
> I appreciate it!
>

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM, S Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When in comes to manually installing jetty, the best guide I have found
>> is:
>> http://oliverpelz.blogspot.com/2011/08/installing-jetty-hightide-745-under.html
>>
>> So this includes:
>>
>> 1. downloading the latest release
>> 2. setting up users/permissions
>> 3. config directories like:
>>   /var/log/jetty
>>   /etc/default/jetty
>> 4. wiring up the startup script with PID
>>

>> Is there something more official or that blog post basically has all one
>> needs?

Re: [jetty-users] manual installation instructions, is this the best guide (see link)?

Thomas Becker
Hi S Ahmed,

please have a look at the documentation provided at eclipse:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty#Getting_Started:_Download.2C_Install.2C_Run
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Starting/Downloads

And let us know what you're missing there.

Cheers,
Thomas

On 2/2/12 5:45 PM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> It looks fine in general.
>
> cheers,
> jesse
>
> --
> jesse mcconnell
> [hidden email]
>
> http://webtide.com / http://intalio.com
> (the folks behind jetty and cometd)
>

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:42, S Ahmed<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> any comments? :)
>>
>> I appreciate it!
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM, S Ahmed<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> When in comes to manually installing jetty, the best guide I have found
>>> is:
>>> http://oliverpelz.blogspot.com/2011/08/installing-jetty-hightide-745-under.html
>>>
>>> So this includes:
>>>
>>> 1. downloading the latest release
>>> 2. setting up users/permissions
>>> 3. config directories like:
>>>    /var/log/jetty
>>>    /etc/default/jetty
>>> 4. wiring up the startup script with PID
>>>

>>> Is there something more official or that blog post basically has all one
>>> needs?

thomas becker
[hidden email]

http://webtide.com / http://intalio.com
(the folks behind jetty and cometd)

Re: [jetty-users] manual installation instructions, is this the best guide (see link)?

S Ahmed
Thomas,

Thanks but I am really looking for something more production worthy i.e. setting up jetty as a service that you can start/stop and is setup to start on server reboots etc.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Thomas Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Everything you need is there.

cp $jetty_home/bin/jetty.sh to /etc/init.d/jetty and you've your init script.
If you like to keep your jetty config on jetty upgraded, move it to /etc/default/jetty which will be read on startup. Put your environment settings, etc. in there.

It's all documented in the eclipse documentation. If that's not sufficient for you, feel free to file a bugzilla describing what you're missing or don't understand and we'll consider updating the docs.