[jetty-users] jetty versions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[jetty-users] jetty versions

S Ahmed
Hi,

Can someone explain to me what versions of jetty there are and what the major differences are?

I see jetty 6, 7, 8, hightide?

For a new project, which version do you suggest?



_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

NikNik77771
Jetty 6 is classical
7  - performance improved
8 - is actually 7 plus servlet 3.0

2012/1/15 S Ahmed <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone explain to me what versions of jetty there are and what the
> major differences are?
>
> I see jetty 6, 7, 8, hightide?
>
> For a new project, which version do you suggest?
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

S Ahmed
so for a new project, one should go with 7 if servlet 3.0 is not required?  


On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Nikolay Rychkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jetty 6 is classical
7  - performance improved
8 - is actually 7 plus servlet 3.0

2012/1/15 S Ahmed <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone explain to me what versions of jetty there are and what the
> major differences are?
>
> I see jetty 6, 7, 8, hightide?
>
> For a new project, which version do you suggest?
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users


_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

Jan Bartel-3
We're keeping the jetty-7 and jetty-8 codebases in sync, except that 8
has the servlet 3 stuff loaded on top. We also try and release both
together, so they are both current.

Note that servlet 3 is backward compatible with servlet 2.5, so you
don't have to use the new features if you don't want to, but you'll be
up-to-date with the latest spec.

Jan

On 15 January 2012 10:25, S Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> so for a new project, one should go with 7 if servlet 3.0 is not required?
>
>
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Nikolay Rychkov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Jetty 6 is classical
>> 7  - performance improved
>> 8 - is actually 7 plus servlet 3.0
>>
>> 2012/1/15 S Ahmed <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Can someone explain to me what versions of jetty there are and what the
>> > major differences are?
>> >
>> > I see jetty 6, 7, 8, hightide?
>> >
>> > For a new project, which version do you suggest?
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > jetty-users mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>> >
>> _______________________________________________
>> jetty-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

NikNik77771
In reply to this post by S Ahmed
I think for new project newer version is better but not all libraries support 8

2012/1/15 S Ahmed <[hidden email]>:

> so for a new project, one should go with 7 if servlet 3.0 is not required?
>
>
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Nikolay Rychkov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Jetty 6 is classical
>> 7  - performance improved
>> 8 - is actually 7 plus servlet 3.0
>>
>> 2012/1/15 S Ahmed <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Can someone explain to me what versions of jetty there are and what the
>> > major differences are?
>> >
>> > I see jetty 6, 7, 8, hightide?
>> >
>> > For a new project, which version do you suggest?
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > jetty-users mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>> >
>> _______________________________________________
>> jetty-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

matthewcornell
In reply to this post by S Ahmed
Boy, I'm still confused by this. One answer says "8 - is actually 7 plus servlet 3.0", but later another says "We're keeping the jetty-7 and jetty-8 codebases in sync, except that 8 has the servlet 3 stuff loaded on top." I'd simplify the question and ask: How do hightide versions relate to Eclipse ones? The current download as of today is http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty-hightide-8.1.4/ , which seems to match the eclipse one, http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/8.1.4.v20120524/dist/ . So are they the same, but configured differently to include more Java EE features? Thanks! -- matt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

Jesse McConnell
yes, hightide is just the jetty-distribution with some additions that
we can not distribute from eclipse do to their IP restrictions.

in jetty-9 we will have a plugin mechanism where you can install the
bits that comprise jetty-hightide so there will then be only one
distribution again

(note jetty 9 is under development but is not coming out til maybe the
end of the year)

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]


On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM, matthewcornell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Boy, I'm still confused by this. One answer says "8 - is actually 7 plus
> servlet 3.0", but later another says "We're keeping the jetty-7 and jetty-8
> codebases in sync, except that 8 has the servlet 3 stuff loaded on top." I'd
> simplify the question and ask: How do hightide versions relate to Eclipse
> ones? The current download as of today is
> http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty-hightide-8.1.4/ , which seems to match
> the eclipse one, http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/8.1.4.v20120524/dist/ .
> So are they the same, but configured differently to include more Java EE
> features? Thanks! -- matt
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://jetty.4.n6.nabble.com/jetty-users-jetty-versions-tp3675449p4958655.html
> Sent from the Jetty User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] jetty versions

matthewcornell
Thanks very much, Jesse!