[jetty-users] java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting

[jetty-users] java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting

Jurjan Woltman
Hi all,

Today I encountered an exception while staring my webapplication with it's embedded Jetty server (Jetty 8). We're using this pre-configured embedded Jetty server for multiple applications. This works perfectly, but somehow one application gives an illegalstateexception: !selecting. I did some googling, added logging, looked at the Jetty sources. But somehow I can't understand what this exception is all about, what's the cause and eventually come up with a solution. Can some please explain to me what this is about? Thanks in advance!

Cheers Jurjan

---- The extract from the log file --

    | java.lang.
IllegalStateException: !Selecting
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectorManager.doStart(SelectorManager.java:309)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AggregateLifeCycle.doStart(AggregateLifeCycle.java:58)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:319)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:251)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:274)
jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
jvm 1    |     at nl.cjib.jetty.server.Server.initAndStart(Server.java:62)
jvm 1    |     at nl.cjib.jetty.server.Bootstrapper.startServer(Bootstrapper.java:54)
jvm 1    |     at nl.cjib.jetty.server.Bootstrapper.main(Bootstrapper.java:34)
jvm 1    |     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
jvm 1    |     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
jvm 1    |     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
jvm 1    |     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
jvm 1    |     at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperJarApp.run(WrapperJarApp.java:394)
jvm 1    |     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
jvm 1    | ]

Re: [jetty-users] java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting

Thomas Becker
Hi Jurjan,

which specific jetty version are you running?

Cheers,
Thomas

On Thu May 31 22:38:11 2012, Jurjan Woltman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today I encountered an exception while staring my webapplication with
> it's embedded Jetty server (Jetty 8). We're using this pre-configured
> embedded Jetty server for multiple applications. This works perfectly,
> but somehow one application gives an illegalstateexception:
> !selecting. I did some googling, added logging, looked at the Jetty
> sources. But somehow I can't understand what this exception is all
> about, what's the cause and eventually come up with a solution. Can
> some please explain to me what this is about? Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers Jurjan
>
> ---- The extract from the log file --
>

>     | java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectorManager.doStart(SelectorManager.java:309)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AggregateLifeCycle.doStart(AggregateLifeCycle.java:58)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:319)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:251)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
> jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:274)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
> jvm 1    |     at nl.cjib.jetty.server.Server.initAndStart(Server.java:62)
> jvm 1    |     at
> nl.cjib.jetty.server.Bootstrapper.startServer(Bootstrapper.java:54)
> jvm 1    |     at
> nl.cjib.jetty.server.Bootstrapper.main(Bootstrapper.java:34)
> jvm 1    |     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
> jvm 1    |     at
> jvm 1    |     at
> jvm 1    |     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
> jvm 1    |     at
> org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperJarApp.run(WrapperJarApp.java:394)
> jvm 1    |     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
> jvm 1    | ]

thomas becker
[hidden email]

http://webtide.com / http://intalio.com
(the folks behind jetty and cometd)

Re: [jetty-users] java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting

Jurjan Woltman
Hi, we are running version 8.1.1.v20120215.

Regards, Jurjan

Op Jun 1, 2012 om 7:51 heeft Thomas Becker <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Jurjan,
>
> which specific jetty version are you running?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> On Thu May 31 22:38:11 2012, Jurjan Woltman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I encountered an exception while staring my webapplication with
>> it's embedded Jetty server (Jetty 8). We're using this pre-configured
>> embedded Jetty server for multiple applications. This works perfectly,
>> but somehow one application gives an illegalstateexception:
>> !selecting. I did some googling, added logging, looked at the Jetty
>> sources. But somehow I can't understand what this exception is all
>> about, what's the cause and eventually come up with a solution. Can
>> some please explain to me what this is about? Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Cheers Jurjan
>>
>> ---- The extract from the log file --
>>

>>    | java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectorManager.doStart(SelectorManager.java:309)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AggregateLifeCycle.doStart(AggregateLifeCycle.java:58)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:319)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:251)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
>> jvm 1    |     at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:274)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)
>> jvm 1    |     at nl.cjib.jetty.server.Server.initAndStart(Server.java:62)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> nl.cjib.jetty.server.Bootstrapper.startServer(Bootstrapper.java:54)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> nl.cjib.jetty.server.Bootstrapper.main(Bootstrapper.java:34)
>> jvm 1    |     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
>> Method)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> jvm 1    |     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
>> jvm 1    |     at
>> org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperJarApp.run(WrapperJarApp.java:394)
>> jvm 1    |     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
>> jvm 1    | ]

> thomas becker
> [hidden email]
>
> http://webtide.com / http://intalio.com
> (the folks behind jetty and cometd)

Re: [jetty-users] java.lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting

Thomas Becker
Jurjan, that's a pretty old release. Can you please update to the
latest release? Lots of NIO fixes have been done since then.