[jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

[jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

Guofeng Zhang

Hi,

These days I learning how Jetty support SPDY. I found that spdy-core and spdy-jetty use the same package name. the SPDY modules and npn module has no OSGi headers defined.

My question is:

 will these modules support OSGi in the future, and if so, is there not any issue for the split package in the OSGi environment?

Thanks,

Guofeng

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

Joakim Erdfelt-9
Thank you for pointing this out.
On review, our package naming isn't terribly conducive to use within OSGi it seems.
We have started to make the appropriate changes in our jetty-9[1] branch as a direct result of your question.

So far websocket has been corrected [2], and the SPDY correction is underway.

Note however, that we cannot make this kind of change in jetty-7 or jetty-8 as it would represent too big of a change for a point release.

--
Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]>
Developer advice, services and support

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Guofeng Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

These days I learning how Jetty support SPDY. I found that spdy-core and spdy-jetty use the same package name. the SPDY modules and npn module has no OSGi headers defined.

My question is:

 will these modules support OSGi in the future, and if so, is there not any issue for the split package in the OSGi environment?

Thanks,

Guofeng

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

Greg Wilkins-3
The packages for websocket are now a bit verbose.  Server and client
are ok, but core produces:

org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.annotations
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.api
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.api.*
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.driver
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.extensions
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.extensions.*
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.io
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.io.*

Can't this just be:

org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.annotations
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.api
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.api.*
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.driver
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.extensions
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.extensions.*
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.io
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.io.*

So long as no other module/jar contains any of these packages we are good.

--
Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]>
http://www.webtide.com

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

Joakim Erdfelt-9
Yes, that's correct.
That's what the websocket-core renamed packages are now. (org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.*)
So we can prevent the package space overlap concerns in OSGi.

--

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hugues Malphettes
Hi Guofeng,

We just updated the generation of the OSGi manifests for jetty-9.

We have not tested SPDY in OSGi is still a work in progress.

Regarding the npn library, it does not have an OSGi header.
At runtime, it must be loaded in the bootclass loader of the JVM [1]:
    java -Xbootclasspath/p:<path_to_npn_boot_jar>

We are completely decided what is the best way to handle this situation.
At the moment, we chose to be flexible: the jetty-spdy-server-http
lists an optional import for the package org.eclipse.jetty.npn
We think we should eventually not import it at all in OSGi.

Let us know how it goes.
Hugues
[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/NPN

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Guofeng Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> These days I learning how Jetty support SPDY. I found that spdy-core and
> spdy-jetty use the same package name. the SPDY modules and npn module has no
> OSGi headers defined.
>

> My question is:
>
>  will these modules support OSGi in the future, and if so, is there not any
> issue for the split package in the OSGi environment?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Guofeng

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

Hugues Malphettes
Too many typos, let's try again:

Hi Guofeng,

We just updated the generation of the OSGi manifests for jetty-9.

SPDY in OSGi is still a work in progress.

The npn library does not have an OSGi header.
At runtime, it must be loaded in the bootclass loader of the JVM [1]:
    java -Xbootclasspath/p:<path_to_npn_boot_jar>

The jetty-spdy-server-http is the only module that depends on npn-api.
At the moment, we chose to be flexible: the jetty-spdy-server-http
lists an optional import for the package org.eclipse.jetty.npn
We suspect it should not be listed in the OSGi manifest at all.

Let us know how it goes.
Hugues
[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/NPN

On Thursday, 20 September 2012, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
Yes, that's correct.
That's what the websocket-core renamed packages are now. (org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.core.*)
So we can prevent the package space overlap concerns in OSGi.

I don't think we need to be so verbose to avoid overlaps.
If you remove core from the package, then the resulting names do not overlap with other modules:

org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.annotations
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.api.*
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.driver
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.extensions.*
org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.io.*

I do not think there is an OSGi restriction of one jar/module producing more than one package

I strongly think we should drop the "core" as a meaningless artifact of our build system.

Joakim Erdfelt <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;joakim@intalio.com&#39;);" target="_blank">joakim@...>

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Greg Wilkins <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;gregw@intalio.com&#39;);" target="_blank">gregw@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your update. I will make a try late

We just updated the generation of the OSGi manifests for jetty-9.

SPDY in OSGi is still a work in progress.

The npn library does not have an OSGi header.
At runtime, it must be loaded in the bootclass loader of the JVM [1]:
    java -Xbootclasspath/p:<path_to_npn_boot_jar>

The jetty-spdy-server-http is the only module that depends on npn-api.
At the moment, we chose to be flexible: the jetty-spdy-server-http lists an optional import for the package org.eclipse.jetty.npn We suspect it should not be listed in the OSGi manifest at all.

Let us know how it goes.
Hugues
[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/NPN

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Hugues Malphettes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guofeng,
>
> We just updated the generation of the OSGi manifests for jetty-9.
>
> We have not tested SPDY in OSGi is still a work in progress.
>
> Regarding the npn library, it does not have an OSGi header.
> At runtime, it must be loaded in the bootclass loader of the JVM [1]:
>     java -Xbootclasspath/p:<path_to_npn_boot_jar>
>
> We are completely decided what is the best way to handle this situation.
> At the moment, we chose to be flexible: the jetty-spdy-server-http
> lists an optional import for the package org.eclipse.jetty.npn We
> think we should eventually not import it at all in OSGi.
>
> Let us know how it goes.
> Hugues
> [1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/NPN
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Guofeng Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> These days I learning how Jetty support SPDY. I found that spdy-core
>> and spdy-jetty use the same package name. the SPDY modules and npn
>> module has no OSGi headers defined.
>>

>> My question is:
>>
>>  will these modules support OSGi in the future, and if so, is there
>> not any issue for the split package in the OSGi environment?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Guofeng

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty SPDY use split package?

Guofeng Zhang
Update:

I tried to deploy jetty-spdy in M3 to Karaf, it works well.

Thanks.