[jetty-users] Jetty 8 OSGi and logging

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[jetty-users] Jetty 8 OSGi and logging

Craig Ching
Hi all,

I'm working on a new platform based on Juno/3.8 and Jetty 8.  I've got a tycho build that works with a demo web app working.  The one thing I can't do is control the log output, I am getting this continually:

22:09:18.971 [Scanner-0] DEBUG org.eclipse.jetty.util.Scanner - scanned [/Users/cching/dev/tycho-tests/jetty-test/webapp.product/target/products/webapp/macosx/cocoa/x86_64/webapps]: {}
22:09:19.982 [Scanner-0] DEBUG org.eclipse.jetty.util.Scanner - scanned [/Users/cching/dev/tycho-tests/jetty-test/webapp.product/target/products/webapp/macosx/cocoa/x86_64/webapps]: {}

Presumably it's because Jetty is logging at DEBUG level by default.  So I'm trying to figure out how to control logging, eclipse/equinox 3.8 uses logback pretty heavily so I figured that was probably the way to go (we currently use pax-logging, but that hasn't been working so well for us).  I found this page:


But I can't find the bundle 'org.eclipse.jetty.osgi.logback' in the p2 repository for jetty 8.  Is this information still relevant?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Craig

_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8 OSGi and logging

Hugues Malphettes
Hi,

Setting the config file of logback is all it takes [1].
For example:
     -Dlogback.configurationFile=./etc/logback.xml
Or in the configuration/config.ini of equinox:
     logback.configurationFile=./etc/logback.xml

That paragraph on the wiki is obsolete. I'm updating it.
Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Hugues
[1] org.eclipse.jetty.util contains the jetty's logging API.
If it can find the slf4j library, it will use it.
It has an optional import for org.slf4j; logback is a fragment of orgl.sfl4j
So if the slf4j and the logback bundles are present in your target
platform, it will use them.


On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Craig Ching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a new platform based on Juno/3.8 and Jetty 8.  I've got a
> tycho build that works with a demo web app working.  The one thing I can't
> do is control the log output, I am getting this continually:
>
> 22:09:18.971 [Scanner-0] DEBUG org.eclipse.jetty.util.Scanner - scanned
> [/Users/cching/dev/tycho-tests/jetty-test/webapp.product/target/products/webapp/macosx/cocoa/x86_64/webapps]:
> {}
> 22:09:19.982 [Scanner-0] DEBUG org.eclipse.jetty.util.Scanner - scanned
> [/Users/cching/dev/tycho-tests/jetty-test/webapp.product/target/products/webapp/macosx/cocoa/x86_64/webapps]:
> {}
>
> Presumably it's because Jetty is logging at DEBUG level by default.  So I'm
> trying to figure out how to control logging, eclipse/equinox 3.8 uses
> logback pretty heavily so I figured that was probably the way to go (we
> currently use pax-logging, but that hasn't been working so well for us).  I
> found this page:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/Jetty_OSGi#Centralized_logging_support_with_slf4j_and_logback-classic
>
> But I can't find the bundle 'org.eclipse.jetty.osgi.logback' in the p2
> repository for jetty 8.  Is this information still relevant?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Cheers,
> Craig
>
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8 OSGi and logging

Craig Ching
Thanks Hugues, works perfectly!

Cheers,
Craig

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Hugues Malphettes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Setting the config file of logback is all it takes [1].
For example:
    -Dlogback.configurationFile=./etc/logback.xml
Or in the configuration/config.ini of equinox:
    logback.configurationFile=./etc/logback.xml

That paragraph on the wiki is obsolete. I'm updating it.
Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Hugues
[1] org.eclipse.jetty.util contains the jetty's logging API.
If it can find the slf4j library, it will use it.
It has an optional import for org.slf4j; logback is a fragment of orgl.sfl4j
So if the slf4j and the logback bundles are present in your target
platform, it will use them.


On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Craig Ching <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a new platform based on Juno/3.8 and Jetty 8.  I've got a
> tycho build that works with a demo web app working.  The one thing I can't
> do is control the log output, I am getting this continually:
>
> 22:09:18.971 [Scanner-0] DEBUG org.eclipse.jetty.util.Scanner - scanned
> [/Users/cching/dev/tycho-tests/jetty-test/webapp.product/target/products/webapp/macosx/cocoa/x86_64/webapps]:
> {}
> 22:09:19.982 [Scanner-0] DEBUG org.eclipse.jetty.util.Scanner - scanned
> [/Users/cching/dev/tycho-tests/jetty-test/webapp.product/target/products/webapp/macosx/cocoa/x86_64/webapps]:
> {}
>
> Presumably it's because Jetty is logging at DEBUG level by default.  So I'm
> trying to figure out how to control logging, eclipse/equinox 3.8 uses
> logback pretty heavily so I figured that was probably the way to go (we
> currently use pax-logging, but that hasn't been working so well for us).  I
> found this page:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Feature/Jetty_OSGi#Centralized_logging_support_with_slf4j_and_logback-classic
>
> But I can't find the bundle 'org.eclipse.jetty.osgi.logback' in the p2
> repository for jetty 8.  Is this information still relevant?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Cheers,
> Craig
>
> _______________________________________________
> jetty-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users
>
_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users


_______________________________________________
jetty-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jetty-users