[jetty-users] Jetty 8.1.14 Regenerating JSPs after server restart

[jetty-users] Jetty 8.1.14 Regenerating JSPs after server restart

andyatmiami
Greetings,

I am noticing an issue where JSP pages are getting completely regenerated
following a server restart (I am using an Eclipse Plug-in Project - so its
an Equinox/OSGi application).

I have found this page that lists various configuration properties:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Howto/Configure_JSP

In debugging, I do see that we have development = 'true', but that should
only have it check for a 'possible' recompilation.  I am seeing it always
recompiles.  What are the criteria around whether or not to compile?  Can
someone help me with what configuration parameters I should be using?

Thanks!

Andy

p.s. I was trying to post this message via the forum, but kept getting a mailer-daemon error saying I am not subscribed - even though I am...sorry for the spam that may have caused...

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8.1.14 Regenerating JSPs after server restart

Jan Bartel-3
Andy,

development=true should be enough.  I suggest you turn on debugging
(jasper uses java util logging, so enable logging at the finest level
for org.apache.jasper) and see if that helps. The other thing to check
is to make sure that the timestamps on the .jsp files are not being
updated so they are indeed more recent than the .class files. In fact,
make sure that the .class files aren't being deleted during the
stop/start.

On 24 June 2014 15:26, Andy Stoneberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am noticing an issue where JSP pages are getting completely regenerated
> following a server restart (I am using an Eclipse Plug-in Project - so its
> an Equinox/OSGi application).
>
> I have found this page that lists various configuration properties:
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Howto/Configure_JSP
>
> In debugging, I do see that we have development = 'true', but that should
> only have it check for a 'possible' recompilation.  I am seeing it always
> recompiles.  What are the criteria around whether or not to compile?  Can
> someone help me with what configuration parameters I should be using?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andy
>
> p.s. I was trying to post this message via the forum, but kept getting a
> mailer-daemon error saying I am not subscribed - even though I am...sorry
> for the spam that may have caused...

Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
www.webtide.com
'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8.1.14 Regenerating JSPs after server restart

Michael Dykman
You should expect JSPs to recompile after a restart as there is no
permanent cache for the compiled class files. At runtime, they are
compiled and deployed and when the server shuts down, the temporary
space they have been compiled to vanishes. If your unmodified JSPs are
recompiling between requests with a restart, then you might have a
configuration or timestamp issue.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Jan Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> development=true should be enough.  I suggest you turn on debugging
> (jasper uses java util logging, so enable logging at the finest level
> for org.apache.jasper) and see if that helps. The other thing to check
> is to make sure that the timestamps on the .jsp files are not being
> updated so they are indeed more recent than the .class files. In fact,
> make sure that the .class files aren't being deleted during the
> stop/start.
>
> cheers
> Jan
>
> On 24 June 2014 15:26, Andy Stoneberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am noticing an issue where JSP pages are getting completely regenerated
>> following a server restart (I am using an Eclipse Plug-in Project - so its
>> an Equinox/OSGi application).
>>
>> I have found this page that lists various configuration properties:
>> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Howto/Configure_JSP
>>
>> In debugging, I do see that we have development = 'true', but that should
>> only have it check for a 'possible' recompilation.  I am seeing it always
>> recompiles.  What are the criteria around whether or not to compile?  Can
>> someone help me with what configuration parameters I should be using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> p.s. I was trying to post this message via the forum, but kept getting a
>> mailer-daemon error saying I am not subscribed - even though I am...sorry
>> for the spam that may have caused...

> Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
> www.webtide.com
> 'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

 - michael dykman
 - [hidden email]

 May the Source be with you.

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8.1.14 Regenerating JSPs after server restart

andyatmiami
Is there any way to preserve the compiled files between restarts of the server?

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Michael Dykman <[hidden email]> wrote:
You should expect JSPs to recompile after a restart as there is no
permanent cache for the compiled class files. At runtime, they are
compiled and deployed and when the server shuts down, the temporary
space they have been compiled to vanishes. If your unmodified JSPs are
recompiling between requests with a restart, then you might have a
configuration or timestamp issue.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Jan Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> development=true should be enough.  I suggest you turn on debugging
> (jasper uses java util logging, so enable logging at the finest level
> for org.apache.jasper) and see if that helps. The other thing to check
> is to make sure that the timestamps on the .jsp files are not being
> updated so they are indeed more recent than the .class files. In fact,
> make sure that the .class files aren't being deleted during the
> stop/start.
>
> cheers
> Jan
>
> On 24 June 2014 15:26, Andy Stoneberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am noticing an issue where JSP pages are getting completely regenerated
>> following a server restart (I am using an Eclipse Plug-in Project - so its
>> an Equinox/OSGi application).
>>
>> I have found this page that lists various configuration properties:
>> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Howto/Configure_JSP
>>
>> In debugging, I do see that we have development = 'true', but that should
>> only have it check for a 'possible' recompilation.  I am seeing it always
>> recompiles.  What are the criteria around whether or not to compile?  Can
>> someone help me with what configuration parameters I should be using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> p.s. I was trying to post this message via the forum, but kept getting a
>> mailer-daemon error saying I am not subscribed - even though I am...sorry
>> for the spam that may have caused...

> Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
> www.webtide.com
> 'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

 - michael dykman
 - [hidden email]

 May the Source be with you.

Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8.1.14 Regenerating JSPs after server restart

Jan Bartel-3
Andy,

Here's the jetty-8 doco on tmp directories (where the jsps are
compiled): http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Reference/Temporary_Directories

Jan