[jetty-dev] understanding the jetty 9.2.X architecture

[jetty-dev] understanding the jetty 9.2.X architecture

Michele Rossi
hi,
what's the best way to understand the architecture of Jetty 9.2.X?

I am interested in learning about the asynchronous design, how jetty manages to scale under increasing load, what resources it allocates in increasing amounts (threads?), what are the bottlenecks and the inevitable blocking parts (for example when a resource is read from the disk?).

Is there any document that explains the concepts above?

If not I assume the only way is to study the code?

thanks,
Michele

Re: [jetty-dev] understanding the jetty 9.2.X architecture

Nils Kilden-Pedersen
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Michele Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,
what's the best way to understand the architecture of Jetty 9.2.X?

I am interested in learning about the asynchronous design, how jetty manages to scale under increasing load, what resources it allocates in increasing amounts (threads?), what are the bottlenecks and the inevitable blocking parts (for example when a resource is read from the disk?).

That should not be inevitable. There are non-blocking APIs in nio for file reading.

Is there any document that explains the concepts above?

If not I assume the only way is to study the code?

thanks,
Michele

[jetty-dev] 答复: understanding the jetty 9.2.X architecture

Sunway Jiao

Dear all:

Does have the live chat group for jetty?3x!

Best Regards

Sunway

EC IT.Java Developer

DIRECT:

+86 13691594025

Re: [jetty-dev] understanding the jetty 9.2.X architecture

Danny
I think Jetty will be quite dependant on what the underlying NIO has to offer, as well functionality as performance.

The great thing about Jetty is that you will yourself be able to decide at what point you take over.

As an example:
You could use a standard Jetty WebApp to serve out files and write only a few lines of code. But Jetty allows you also to develop your own end-point that deals itself with the file access (and possible your own application specific optimized caching which is always more performant then standard cash because it is tailored to the problem at hand - well, at least if you know what you do :) .

In this last case your question is answered by yourself because you will decide how you retrieve files from disk and cash them. Probably, if speed is an issue, you will end up with NIO if you stick to standard Java Classes.

"Is there any document that explains the concepts above?"

I guess you are asking for a better Jetty Topology and Class positioning discussion? I am interested in that myself because I would like to find out which is the most performant set of classes to implement Async Jetty. See my post of last week. I think only the developer on here that know Jetty inside out will be able to provide that answer. I think Callback IO etc will be part of the answer.

Re: [jetty-dev] understanding the jetty 9.2.X architecture

Michele,

there are architecture documents for Jetty that look at big picture of how we put it together.   But there is not anything for the asynchronous IO layer.

There probably should be, but it really is a moving target as protocol change, JVMs change, traffic change etc.   One of the reasons jetty is at version 9 is that we are constantly adapting our approach.

We have been trying to document the async design decision more in comments in the code.

Best way forward is to get yourself an IRC client and get into #jetty.  Then look at the code and when you don't understand something - ask!

cheers