[jetty-dev] jetty 9.4.4 creates HttpClient threads with WebSockets module enabled

[jetty-dev] jetty 9.4.4 creates HttpClient threads with WebSockets module enabled

Michele Rossi
hi all,

I have just noticed that if you enable the WebSockets module (from start.ini) then Jetty creates a number of threads whose name starts with HttpClient.

Is this intended?

Without knowing a lot about WebSockets I'd say that in most cases within Jetty you are only interested in server side handling, not in connecting to other WebSockets endpoint.

thanks,
Michele

Re: [jetty-dev] jetty 9.4.4 creates HttpClient threads with WebSockets module enabled

Greg Wilkins
Michele,
there is an unfortunate aspect of the standard websocket API that is requires all the machinery of the client side to be available.    However, I was under the impression that we didn't start it unless it was required to be used.

We will review.

On 28 April 2017 at 12:26, Michele Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi all,

I have just noticed that if you enable the WebSockets module (from start.ini) then Jetty creates a number of threads whose name starts with HttpClient.

Is this intended?

Without knowing a lot about WebSockets I'd say that in most cases within Jetty you are only interested in server side handling, not in connecting to other WebSockets endpoint.

thanks,
Michele

Re: [jetty-dev] jetty 9.4.4 creates HttpClient threads with WebSockets module enabled

That doesn't sound right.
Have you accessed the Jetty WebSocketClient?

or, if you are JSR356, have you requested the WebSocketContainer via the javax.websocket.ContainerProvider.getWebSocketContainer() ?

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Michele Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi all,

I have just noticed that if you enable the WebSockets module (from start.ini) then Jetty creates a number of threads whose name starts with HttpClient.

Is this intended?

Without knowing a lot about WebSockets I'd say that in most cases within Jetty you are only interested in server side handling, not in connecting to other WebSockets endpoint.

thanks,
Michele

Re: [jetty-dev] jetty 9.4.4 creates HttpClient threads with WebSockets module enabled

Michele Rossi
hi,

I haven't done anything with WS.. the WS module was just sitting unused in start.ini

Michele

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 at 14:57, Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]> wrote:
That doesn't sound right.
Have you accessed the Jetty WebSocketClient?

or, if you are JSR356, have you requested the WebSocketContainer via the javax.websocket.ContainerProvider.getWebSocketContainer() ?

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Michele Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi all,

I have just noticed that if you enable the WebSockets module (from start.ini) then Jetty creates a number of threads whose name starts with HttpClient.

Is this intended?

Without knowing a lot about WebSockets I'd say that in most cases within Jetty you are only interested in server side handling, not in connecting to other WebSockets endpoint.

thanks,
Michele

Sent from Gmail Mobile