jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 proble ms

jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 proble ms

Emanuel Pordes
jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 problems

Hi All,

We are trying to get started with evaluating the JBossWS stack for deploying Web Services on JBoss.
We have successfuly built and tested (using the 900 or so tests in its test suite) jbossws-1.0.4 against jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3 w/ jbossweb-tomcat55.sar (out-of-box config)

When we drop in jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar, the tests still deploy successfully, however all the integration tests fail due to HTTP 405 errors. (seen in Jetty's HTTP access logs)

I've done a bit of debugging using just one of the failing test cases from the jbossws testsuite: jaxrpc-samples-jsr109pojo-rpc.war.

It deploys fine, but when I access http://localhost:8080/jaxrpc-samples-jsr109pojo-rpc, the 405 response code is returned from org.jboss.ws.server.StandardEndpointServlet.doGet.

No query params are present and this servlet seems to only be meant to handle queries for the WSDL.
Explicitly requesting the WSDL using ?WSDL query param works with both Tomcat and Jetty.
When accessing the URL without the ?WSDL query param, StandardEndpointServlet.doGet is not called in Tomcat but is still called in Jetty.

I imagine this is likely due to some request interception occurring beforehand with Tomcat and not with Jetty.

We're not terribly familiar with the kinds of dynamic servlet deployment/registering that goes on between jbossws and the jboss webserver/servlet container.

Also, the fact that we see no apparent errors/warnings (even when enabling Jetty's debug output with -DDEBUG) makes it difficult to know where to start looking.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Emanuel

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courriel est confidentiel et protege. L'expediteur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) designe(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immediatement, par retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen.

Re: jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 proble ms

jan_bartel
Hi Emanuel,

Firstly, apologies for the delay in this response.

I am trying to reproduce this, but having some difficulty. How did
you get the samples to compile using jdk1.4? AFAIK, we need to use
jdk1.4 with jboss-4.0.5, but the jsr109pojo sample refuses to compile
with jdk1.4 (can't find javax.xml.namespace.QName). I tried removing
all the test case classes that refer to QName, but that seems to have
broken something else :-(

If you have a ready-built war file I can just drop into jboss, that
would be extremely helpful!

Emanuel Pordes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are trying to get started with evaluating the JBossWS stack for
> deploying Web Services on JBoss.
> We have successfuly built and tested (using the 900 or so tests in its
> test suite) jbossws-1.0.4 against jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3 w/
> jbossweb-tomcat55.sar (out-of-box config)
>
> When we drop in jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar, the tests
> still deploy successfully, however all the integration tests fail due to
> HTTP 405 errors. (seen in Jetty's HTTP access logs)
>
> I've done a bit of debugging using just one of the failing test cases
> from the jbossws testsuite: jaxrpc-samples-jsr109pojo-rpc.war.
>
> It deploys fine, but when I access
> http://localhost:8080/jaxrpc-samples-jsr109pojo-rpc, the 405 response
> code is returned from org.jboss.ws.server.StandardEndpointServlet.doGet.
>
> No query params are present and this servlet seems to only be meant to
> handle queries for the WSDL.
> Explicitly requesting the WSDL using ?WSDL query param works with both
> Tomcat and Jetty.
> When accessing the URL without the ?WSDL query param,
> StandardEndpointServlet.doGet is not called in Tomcat but is still
> called in Jetty.
>
> I imagine this is likely due to some request interception occurring
> beforehand with Tomcat and not with Jetty.
>
> We're not terribly familiar with the kinds of dynamic servlet
> deployment/registering that goes on between jbossws and the jboss
> webserver/servlet container.
>
> Also, the fact that we see no apparent errors/warnings (even when
> enabling Jetty's debug output with -DDEBUG) makes it difficult to know
> where to start looking.
>
> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emanuel

> This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does
> not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or
> copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an
> intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in
> error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.
>
> Ce courriel est confidentiel et protege. L'expediteur ne renonce pas aux
> droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation
> ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une
> personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) designe(s) est interdite. Si
> vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immediatement,
> par retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen.

> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.

Re: jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 proble ms

Emanuel Pordes
RE: [Jetty-support] jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 proble ms

Hi Jan,

Are you sure that jdk1.4 is required?
I managed to build everything (JBoss, Jetty and JBossWS) with Sun's JDK 1.5.0_11 and deployed it all without errors.

To reproduce the error (without running the entire JBossWS test suite), I do the following:

1) start the jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb default config after having replaced jbossweb-tomcat with jbossweb-jetty.
2) run jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA\src\test>%ANT_HOME%\bin\ant -Dtest=org.jboss.test.ws.common.soap.SOAPConnectionTestCase one-test

In case you still need them, I have attached the war file and the client jar.

Also, don't worry about the response time... this issue is no longer holding us up.
FYI, we have since decided to proceed with the JAX-WS RI, which seems to get along just fine with our JBoss/Jetty config.

jaxrpc-samples-jsr109pojo-rpc.war (9K) Download Attachment
jaxrpc-samples-jsr109pojo-rpc-client.jar (7K) Download Attachment

Re: jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar & jbossws-1.0.4 proble ms

jan_bartel

Hi Emanuel,

> Are you sure that jdk1.4 is required?
> I managed to build everything (JBoss, Jetty and JBossWS) with Sun's JDK
> 1.5.0_11 and deployed it all without errors.
Hmm, I'm using the pre-built distro of jboss-4.0.5.GA and the console
does not seem to like using jsp2.1 (which you get if you build jetty/jboss
with jdk1.5), so I've been using jdk1.4.

I'm having trouble making any combination of anything work!

I've got:
+ jboss-4.0.5.GA (binary distro, which includes a jbossws14.sar)
+ jbossws-1.0.4.GA (binary distro, including samples)

I have to fiddle around a bit to force the jbossws-1.0.4GA samples
to build - it complains because there is no ejb3.deployer in my jboss
distro - any ideas on how I get one of those?

If you could post me the exact components and versions I need to get
this all to work together to reproduce your error, that would be
fantastic.

I am able to produce all kinds of different errors, but I'm not sure
if they are related to having mismatching versions of stuff deployed,
so I need to clear that up before I can get any further.

thanks!
Jan

> To reproduce the error (without running the entire JBossWS test suite),
> I do the following:
>
> 1) start the jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb default config after having replaced
> jbossweb-tomcat with jbossweb-jetty.
> 2) run jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA\src\test>%ANT_HOME%\bin\ant
> -Dtest=org.jboss.test.ws.common.soap.SOAPConnectionTestCase one-test
>
> In case you still need them, I have attached the war file and the client
> jar.
>
> Also, don't worry about the response time... this issue is no longer
> holding us up.
> FYI, we have since decided to proceed with the JAX-WS RI, which seems to
> get along just fine with our JBoss/Jetty config.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emanuel

I didn't get any binary distributions of any of the components... I built them all from sources with Sun's JDK1.5.0_11.

I used:
- jboss-4.0.5.GA-src.tar.gz downloaded from jboss's sourceforge page.
- jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA.zip from http://labs.jboss.com/file-access/default/members/jbossws/downloads/jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA.zip

When you build jboss-4.0.5.GA-src.tar.gz with JDK1.5, it creates a jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3 distro alongside the standard distro under $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output.

That is what I used to build jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar.

It's also what I used to build (and run) jbossws-1.0.4-src and its test suite.
- copy $JBOSSWS_SRC_HOME/ant.properties.example to $JBOSSWS_SRC_HOME/ant.properties
- set jboss.jdk15.home to point to $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3

Oh, and I just remembered that you'll need to comment out the following tomcat5 dependency in $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3/server/default/management/console-mgr.sar/web-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Status Servlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.StatusServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Status Servlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/status</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Emanuel

> I managed to build everything (JBoss, Jetty and JBossWS) with Sun's JDK
> 1.5.0_11 and deployed it all without errors.
Hmm, I'm using the pre-built distro of jboss-4.0.5.GA and the console
does not seem to like using jsp2.1 (which you get if you build jetty/jboss
with jdk1.5), so I've been using jdk1.4.

I'm having trouble making any combination of anything work!

I've got:
+ jboss-4.0.5.GA (binary distro, which includes a jbossws14.sar)
+ jbossws-1.0.4.GA (binary distro, including samples)

I have to fiddle around a bit to force the jbossws-1.0.4GA samples
to build - it complains because there is no ejb3.deployer in my jboss
distro - any ideas on how I get one of those?

If you could post me the exact components and versions I need to get
this all to work together to reproduce your error, that would be
fantastic.

I am able to produce all kinds of different errors, but I'm not sure
if they are related to having mismatching versions of stuff deployed,
so I need to clear that up before I can get any further.

thanks!
Jan

> To reproduce the error (without running the entire JBossWS test suite),
> I do the following:
>
> 1) start the jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb default config after having replaced
> jbossweb-tomcat with jbossweb-jetty.
> 2) run jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA\src\test>%ANT_HOME%\bin\ant
> -Dtest=org.jboss.test.ws.common.soap.SOAPConnectionTestCase one-test
>
> In case you still need them, I have attached the war file and the client
> jar.
>
> Also, don't worry about the response time... this issue is no longer
> holding us up.
> FYI, we have since decided to proceed with the JAX-WS RI, which seems to
> get along just fine with our JBoss/Jetty config.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emanuel

Whew! I'm exhausted, that was a heck of a struggle!
Anyway, the good news is that I finally found out and
fixed the issue (svn rev 1621).

The problem was that the jboss webservices test client
is creating urls that are not terminated in a trailing
'/', which actually makes them an invalid url. Usually,
Jetty responds by issuing a 302 redirect response with a
url with the correct trailing slash. That forces jboss
to re-issue the request, however as a GET, and the webservices
code seems to only support POSTs.

Anyway, I've changed jetty to permit request urls without a
trailing slash if it is for a webservices webapp.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention,

Emanuel Pordes wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I didn't get any binary distributions of any of the components... I
> built them all from sources with Sun's JDK1.5.0_11.
>
> I used:
> - jboss-4.0.5.GA-src.tar.gz downloaded from jboss's sourceforge page.
> - jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA.zip from
> http://labs.jboss.com/file-access/default/members/jbossws/downloads/jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA.zip
>
> When you build jboss-4.0.5.GA-src.tar.gz with JDK1.5, it creates a
> jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3 distro alongside the standard distro under
> $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output.
>
> That is what I used to build jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar.
>
> It's also what I used to build (and run) jbossws-1.0.4-src and its test
> suite.
> - copy $JBOSSWS_SRC_HOME/ant.properties.example to
> $JBOSSWS_SRC_HOME/ant.properties
> - set jboss.jdk15.home to point to
> $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3
>
> Oh, and I just remembered that you'll need to comment out the following
> tomcat5 dependency in
> $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3/server/default/management/console-mgr.sar/web-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml:
>
>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>Status Servlet</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.StatusServlet</servlet-class>
>   </servlet>
>
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>Status Servlet</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/status</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Regards,
>
> Emanuel

Based on your response, it sounds as though with your latest patches you're mimicking buggy JBoss and/or Tomcat behaviour... the thought of that makes me feel a little dirty. :-)

Do you think that Tomcat always accepts invalid URLs (no trailing slash) without issuing a 302 redirect response?
Or are they doing the same kind of toggling of behaviour based on whether or not it's a webservice webapp? (I'm not sure exactly what that means)

If you have a good link handy which clearly indicates what the correct behaviour should be according to the HTTP specs, I'd be willing to try floating this issue up to the JBoss folks to try to get it addressed there instead.

In any case, I had a chance today to get the latest Jetty code from SVN HEAD.
I re-ran the full JBossWS test suite and here is a breakdown of the JBoss/Tomcat and JBoss/Jetty results.

JBoss/Tomcat: 890 tests, 3 errors
JBoss/Jetty: 890 tests, 67 errors

I noticed that there are still some POSTs without trailing slashes following by GETs that return 405.
I haven't yet had time to investigate all the remaining failures to see if they are all in fact triggered by the same problem.

P.S. If you need them, I can provide my test suite output as well as my HTTP access logs. (can't seem to attach them to this e-mail, since they are a bit too large)

Emanuel Pordes wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I didn't get any binary distributions of any of the components... I
> built them all from sources with Sun's JDK1.5.0_11.
>
> I used:
> - jboss-4.0.5.GA-src.tar.gz downloaded from jboss's sourceforge page.
> - jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA.zip from
> http://labs.jboss.com/file-access/default/members/jbossws/downloads/jbossws-src-1.0.4.GA.zip
>
> When you build jboss-4.0.5.GA-src.tar.gz with JDK1.5, it creates a
> jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3 distro alongside the standard distro under
> $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output.
>
> That is what I used to build jetty-6.1.2pre1-jboss-4.0.5.GA-jsp-2.1.sar.
>
> It's also what I used to build (and run) jbossws-1.0.4-src and its test
> suite.
> - copy $JBOSSWS_SRC_HOME/ant.properties.example to
> $JBOSSWS_SRC_HOME/ant.properties
> - set jboss.jdk15.home to point to
> $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3
>
> Oh, and I just remembered that you'll need to comment out the following
> tomcat5 dependency in
> $JBOSS_SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-4.0.5.GA-ejb3/server/default/management/console-mgr.sar/web-console.war/WEB-INF/web.xml:

>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>Status Servlet</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.StatusServlet</servlet-class>
>   </servlet>
>
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>Status Servlet</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/status</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Regards,
>
> Emanuel

:-)

> Do you think that Tomcat always accepts invalid URLs (no trailing slash)
> without issuing a 302 redirect response?
> Or are they doing the same kind of toggling of behaviour based on
> whether or not it's a webservice webapp? (I'm not sure exactly what that
> means)

Well, I've tried toggling based on if it is a webservices deployment or
not, but JBoss doesn't consistently set that flag correctly ( BTW this is
is org.jboss.web.WebApplication.getMetaData().isWebServiceDeployment()).
It is set correctly if it is a standalone war being deployed, but if the
webservices war is conjured out of an ejb jar, then that flag remains false.

All tests are working for me now with these exceptions:

1. org.jboss.test.ws.jaxrpc.jbws1179.JBWS1179TestCase
   This refers to a Tomcat-specific mbean, so it won't work with jetty.

2. org.jboss.test.ws.jaxws.jbws981.JBWS981TestCase
   I don't have localhost.localdomain defined, but should work otherwise.

3. the webservices deployments that aren't flagged by jboss as being webservices:
   DocEJBTestCase
   RpcDIIConfiguredCallTestCase
   RpcDIIUnconfiguredCallTestCase
   RpcEJBTestCase
   RpcProxyTestCase
   UsernameTestCase
   JSR181WebServiceEJB21TestCase
   JSR181WebServiceEJB3TestCase

If I cheat and force jetty to always accept an non-'/' terminated url, then
all the tests work (except for 1 and 2 of course).

If you want to give the tests a go again yourself, you need svn rev 1628 of jetty.

> If you have a good link handy which clearly indicates what the correct
> behaviour should be according to the HTTP specs, I'd be willing to try
> floating this issue up to the JBoss folks to try to get it addressed
> there instead.

I asked Greg and got this explanation about the non-trailing '/' url:

> In order for a browser to resolve links relative to a directory,
> the URL must end with a trailing /
>
> Consider a directory at /context/path  with a index.html
> file that includes logo.gif with a relative link
>
> If the index.html is served in response to a request
> to /context/path then the browser will resolve the relative
> link to /context/logo.gif
>
> If instead the server redirects /context/path to
> /context/path/  and then serves index.html in response
> to the second request, the relative link will be resolved
> correctly to /context/path/logo.gif
>

> This is straight forward for most directory URLs in a
> webapp, with the exception of a path of /context
>
> /context is certainly a directory as by definition of a
> web app it is a directory that at least contains the WEB-INF
> directory.  So failing other handling, the redirection should
> be done.
>
> However, the redirection is normally handled by the default
> servlet.  But it is difficult to arrange for a request to
> /context to be passed to the default servlet because a
> servletPath of "" is not generally legal within the servlet
> specification (it is only legal for a /* pattern match in
> which case "" is not a legal pathInfo value).
>
> So Jetty has a choice: either do the redirection before
> the request is dispatch (and avoid the illegality - this is
> the default) or add a fake "/" to the end of the URL and
> allow the request to be passed into the context - where
> it may be handled by a servlet or passed to the default
> servlet.
>
> If it is passed to the default servlet, then a redirection
> is not done as the fake / makes the default servlet think
> all is OK.  So the index.html is served and relative links
> may fail.   This is not a problem if something else handles
> the request!

So it would be ideal if the webservices calls generated urls
terminated by a '/' (ie please feel free to ask jboss to make
a simple fix to add a '/').

Failing that, we're still looking into another way to support
non-'/' terminated urls that will work in 100% of cases. I'll
let you know how we get on.

While you've got a jbosser's attention, you might like to bring
up that the implementation of the WSSecurityHandler is asymmetric.
By that I mean that the it sets up a SecurityAssociation on the way
in to the soap call, but doesn't clear it down on the way back out.
The SecurityAssociation is set up in SecurityDecoder, here's the
caller hierarchy:

 org.jboss.ws.wsse.SecurityDecoder.decode()
  org.jboss.ws.wsse.WSSecurityDispatcher.handleInbound()
      org.jboss.ws.wsse.jaxrpc.WSSecurityHandler.handleInboundSecurity()

I really think that SecurityAssociation.clear() should be called on the
way out of handling the soap message, to be symmetric. As it is, I've had
to put a workaround into jetty/jboss to make sure that the web container
will always call SecurityAssociation.clear().

Thanks for taking an interest in this,
Jan

> In any case, I had a chance today to get the latest Jetty code from SVN
> HEAD.
> I re-ran the full JBossWS test suite and here is a breakdown of the
> JBoss/Tomcat and JBoss/Jetty results.
>
> JBoss/Tomcat: 890 tests, 3 errors
> JBoss/Jetty: 890 tests, 67 errors
>
> I noticed that there are still some POSTs without trailing slashes
> following by GETs that return 405.
> I haven't yet had time to investigate all the remaining failures to see
> if they are all in fact triggered by the same problem.
>
> P.S. If you need them, I can provide my test suite output as well as my
> HTTP access logs. (can't seem to attach them to this e-mail, since they
> are a bit too large)
>
> Regards,
>
> Emanuel

Replying to my own email ...

I've now enabled the option allowNullPathInfo for all jboss deployments
(see svn rev 1635). Greg has checked in a change to jetty to better support
non '/' terminated urls, so it is safe now to have it always enabled.

Jan Bartel wrote:

> [...]
> to put a workaround into jetty/jboss to make sure that the web container
> will always call SecurityAssociation.clear().
>

> Thanks for taking an interest in this,
> Jan
>

>> In any case, I had a chance today to get the latest Jetty code from SVN
>> HEAD.
>> I re-ran the full JBossWS test suite and here is a breakdown of the
>> JBoss/Tomcat and JBoss/Jetty results.
>>
>> JBoss/Tomcat: 890 tests, 3 errors
>> JBoss/Jetty: 890 tests, 67 errors
>>
>> I noticed that there are still some POSTs without trailing slashes
>> following by GETs that return 405.
>> I haven't yet had time to investigate all the remaining failures to see
>> if they are all in fact triggered by the same problem.
>>
>> P.S. If you need them, I can provide my test suite output as well as my
>> HTTP access logs. (can't seem to attach them to this e-mail, since they

FYI, I re-ran the jbossws test suite and it's now down to only 5 failures.

Specifically, the 2 extra failures in JBoss/Jetty are attributable to org.jboss.test.ws.jaxrpc.jbws1179, which you identified as having Tomcat-specific dependencies.

So it looks like everything now works as it should.

Thanks,

Emanuel