graceful redeployment of applications

Dmitri Colebatch
Hi all,

Its been a little while since I've had the pleasure of using Jetty,
and despite doing a bit of a search in the archives and a browse
through the doco, it is possible I've missed an existing answer to my
question, however...

I'm currently in an environment where we use BEA WL8.1 and we are
currently looking at a new server farm which at the moment is going to
be a WL9 instance.  The main feature that WL9 is offering is what I
would call graceful re-deployment.  Eg - I have webapp "foo" deployed
to /foo, and I want to deploy a new version of "foo" but have people
who have already have a session on the existing version of foo to
continue using it, but have new users use the new version.  after a
while I would expect all old users to finish at which point the old
classloader can go away (as it does ordinarily).

To me this doesn't seem like a prohibitively hard thing to do, and I
was wondering if there are others who also would like it.  I'd love to
use Jetty (along with support) instead of BEA for this next server
farm, but this feature would be required for me to win that argument.

Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers?

cheers
dim

(ps - a cc on any replies would be good as I'm subscribed to digest only)

Re: graceful redeployment of applications

Greg Wilkins-5

Dmitri,

I think this can be done moderately simply with a custom handler.

You deploy both old and new webapps at /foo with the old being the
first of them.

Requests go to the old /foo first.   If the handler is in switch over
mode, it looks for a session cookie (or URL).  If a valid session exists
then the handler will let the request into the old /foo.

If a valid session does not exist, then the handler simply returns saying
it has not handled the request.

Jetty will then try the new /foo context and things will continue normally
from there.

Once the old context has no sessions (or after a timeout), it can stop and
remove itself.

cheers

PS. To make this even more robust, you could put an app version number
in a cookie and then you'd be able to do rollback etc.