Webapp started twice??

John English
I just updated a webapp, and something peculiar happened, and I'm
wondering if it's normal behaviour. I'm using jetty-9.4.6.v20170531.

In my webapps directory, I have a directory "myapp" and a corresponding
"myapp.xml". Since this was a major update, I copied "myapp" to
"myapp.old" and then updated the contents of "myapp". When I tried to
stop the webapp with"java -jar start.jar --stop", I got this:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.stop(Main.java:620)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.stop(Main.java:560)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.doStop(Main.java:548)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.start(Main.java:424)

I killed the webapp by hand and then tried to restart it, but both
"myapp" and "myapp.old" started. As soon as I moved "myapp.old"
elsewhere, everything went back to normal: I can now stop it using
"--stop", and it restarts correctly.

Is it really the expected behaviour?

John English

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Webapp started twice??

Jan Bartel
When you copied the webapp to 'myapp.old' jetty will deploy that new directory. So you would have had 2 identical webapps deployed.

The better way to do it would be to copy the new webapp into the existing 'myapp' directory and then touch myapp.xml to cause it to be redeployed.

I haven't seen the exception you report before. We there any more relevant lines in the log?

Jan