Usage of JUL-to-SLF4J

Gaim
Hi,

I would like to jetty log using SLF4J. It works for direct logging through SLF4J and for logging using apache logging commons but it doesn't work for java.util.logging. I am starting jetty from maven plugin and I use the plugin version 6.1.26. I have jul-to-slf4j in dependencies in a version 1.6.6. The JUL logging properties contains only definition of org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler to be a handler.

My problem is, that the Jetty still says, that

Can't load log handler "org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler
        at java.util.logging.LogManager$7.run(LogManager.java:910)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager.initializeGlobalHandlers(LogManager.java:903)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager.access$900(LogManager.java:129)
        at java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger.getHandlers(LogManager.java:1010)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.log(Logger.java:454)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.doLog(Logger.java:480)
        at java.util.logging.Logger.logp(Logger.java:596)
        at org.zkoss.util.logging.Log.log(Log.java:379)
        at org.zkoss.util.logging.Log.debug(Log.java:711)
        at org.zkoss.zk.ui.http.WebManager.<init>(WebManager.java:108)
        at org.zkoss.zk.ui.http.HttpSessionListener23.contextInitialized(HttpSessionListener23.java:140)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.startContext(ContextHandler.java:549)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:136)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1282)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:518)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:499)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.Jetty6PluginWebAppContext.doStart(Jetty6PluginWebAppContext.java:115)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:152)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.doStart(ContextHandlerCollection.java:156)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:152)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224)
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.Jetty6PluginServer.start(Jetty6PluginServer.java:132)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.AbstractJettyMojo.startJetty(AbstractJettyMojo.java:454)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.AbstractJettyMojo.execute(AbstractJettyMojo.java:396)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.AbstractJettyRunMojo.execute(AbstractJettyRunMojo.java:210)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.plugin.Jetty6RunMojo.execute(Jetty6RunMojo.java:184)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:490)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:694)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:569)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:387)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:348)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:180)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:328)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:138)
        at org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:60)

and I don't know why, because all necessary slf4j modules are defined in dependencies.

I would like ask for any help that bring me to working bridged logging from JUL to SLF4J. It seems to be a classloader problem.

Thanks a lot,
Karel

Re: Usage of JUL-to-SLF4J

Joakim Erdfelt-9
There's 2 possible scenarios I'm aware of that cause this.

Scenario 1:

JUL initializes at a point of time earlier than Jetty.
This means the following process occurs ...
  1. JUL initializes
  2. JUL loads its logging.properties file
  3. JUL sees a handler reference to org.slf4j.bridge.SLF4JBridgeHandler
  4. Jetty Start begins
  5. Jetty discovers and loads up its classpath
  6. the jul-to-slf4j.jar is now loaded into the JVM
This means that the reference to the SLF4JBridgeHandler occurs before that jar exists in the classpath.
To solve this, in jetty-7+ we support ${jetty.home}/lib/ext/ as a place to put early load jars.

Scenario 2:

A reference to SLF4JBridgeHandler occurs within the context of the WebAppClassloader and the jul-to-slf4j.jar exists not in the WAR file, but the jetty server lib.
This requires modification of the WebAppContext + WebAppClassloader to allow org.slf4j.* to be seen through this server lib -> WebAppClassloader layer.

In jetty-7+, there's 2 possible ways to handle this scenario.
  1. Using a ${jetty.home}/contexts/myapp.xml context deployer and modifying the systemClasses and serverClasses values for the WebAppContext.
  2. Using the jetty-webapp-logging framework (jetty-7+) initialize the DeploymentManager to set the systemClasses to always use slf4j from the server lib ignoring whatever slf4j libs exist in the webapps (WAR files)

--
Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]>
Developer advice, services and support

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Gaim <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Just remembered a 3rd option as well.

How this works is ...
  1. Add etc/jetty-jul.xml to the start.ini initialization
  2. It initializes a JavaUtilLoggingBean that is added to the Server instance
  3. The JavaUtilLoggingBean adds the appropriate JUL Handlers to the active LogManager on start of the Server.

[...]

Hi Joakim,

thank you for your reply.

Your the first and the second suggestions are based on Jetty 7+ with standalone server but I as I wrote before I have Jetty 6 started from the Maven plugin so these options are not available for me. But the 3rd one is great. I have read your example and used it. It perfectly works, problem solved.

Thank you a lot for your help.

Best regards,
Karel

Dne 2.8.2012 17:53, Joakim Erdfelt-9 [via Jetty] napsal(a):
[...]

http://jetty.4.n6.nabble.com/Usage-of-JUL-to-SLF4J-tp4958903p4958905.html
To unsubscribe from Usage of JUL-to-SLF4J, click here.
NAML