Trying to use EL to set attribute of custom tag

Trying to use EL to set attribute of custom tag

rdoust
I'm trying to use EL to set the value of an attribute for a custom tag
in a JSP page deployed to Jetty under JBoss. When I tried it under
JBoss 3.2.3 with Jetty (not sure what version of Jetty, jar files have
a date of Dec. 17, 2003), an exception was thrown:
javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: For
input string: "${param.id}"
         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageCont
extImpl.java:821)
         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContex
tImpl.java:758)
I thought it was about time I updated JBoss and Jetty anyway and I
thought it might make the problem go away, so I downloaded and
installed JBoss 4.0.1 and Jetty 5.1.4rc0 for JBoss 4.0.1 and deployed
there and tried it again. I'm using J2SDK 1.4.2 (on a PowerBook using
Mac OS X) and J2EE 1.3. It made no difference. (The copied exception
from above was generated by this later version.) When I invoke the page
I get the same exception. The tld for the custom tag declares
rtexprvalue=true for the attribute in question.
Can anyone tell me what part of this puzzle I'm not considering?
Thanks.

Rich