TCP Window Size

Sharmarke Aden
I am currently working on an application that is expected to receive
large amounts of data and one of my concerns is in regards to the
default TCP receive window of sockets in Jetty. I traced trough the
Jetty source code and came across a method called "acceptSocket" in
the ThreadedServer class. This method listens for and creates new
Socket object. The socket objects created have a default TCP window of
8192 bytes and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. Shouldn't
the TCP window setting for sending and receiving socket buffer size be
configurable in Jetty? Or is that something that isn't of any use to
anyone else and I'll need to create a custom build of jetty were I
explicity make calls to "serverSocket.setReceiveBufferSize(,,)" and
"socket.setSendBufferSize(...)?"

p.s. I know that these values are hints and are OS dependent. My
intention is to full optimize the system the application will run on.

Re: TCP Window Size

Greg Wilkins-5

Aden,

You should just be able to extend the listeners/connectors rather
than making a custom build.

But I'll look at exposing the buffer size controls also.
What release are you using? 5 or 6?

regards

S. Aden wrote:

> I am currently working on an application that is expected to receive
> large amounts of data and one of my concerns is in regards to the
> default TCP receive window of sockets in Jetty. I traced trough the
> Jetty source code and came across a method called "acceptSocket" in
> the ThreadedServer class. This method listens for and creates new
> Socket object. The socket objects created have a default TCP window of
> 8192 bytes and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. Shouldn't
> the TCP window setting for sending and receiving socket buffer size be
> configurable in Jetty? Or is that something that isn't of any use to
> anyone else and I'll need to create a custom build of jetty were I
> explicity make calls to "serverSocket.setReceiveBufferSize(,,)" and
> "socket.setSendBufferSize(...)?"
>
> p.s. I know that these values are hints and are OS dependent. My
> intention is to full optimize the system the application will run on.

Re: TCP Window Size

Sharmarke Aden
Thanks for the reply. I'm going against the 5 release.  I'm not sure I
follow, which listener/connector should I be extending?