Serving Adobe PDF to an MSIE Adobe Reader Plug-in

Serving Adobe PDF to an MSIE Adobe Reader Plug-in

Ned Nowotny
Having had intermittent problems reported previously by users, I
finally looked into the problem of serving Adobe PDF files in response
to requests from the Adobe Reader plug-in within a Microsoft Internet
Explorer browser.  The solution to getting reliable behavior was to use
an edited webdefault.xml with the "acceptRanges" parameter for the
default servlet set to "false".  (The webdefault.xml resource file
contained in org.mortbay.jetty.jar sets the value to "true".)  This is
the work-around suggested back in August, 2005 on this list.

The work-around is not ideal in that it requires downloading the
complete PDF file to the Adobe Reader plug-in rather than just
requested byte ranges of the document.  It also applies to all requests
for byte ranges, whether originating from an Adobe Reader plug-in or
not.

I don't know what, if anything, should be changed in the implementation
of Jetty to enable setting "acceptRanges" back to "true".  However, the
Apache server is able to serve byte ranges to the Adobe Reader plug-in.
  To do so, they have to special case byte range responses to Adobe
Reader:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/
known_client_problems.html#byterange-requests

Is a similar work-around an option for Jetty?  Is there a way to set
the "acceptRanges" parameter specifically for a PDF MIME type?  If so,
will it require configuration of a servlet dedicating to serving PDF
files?

Ned Nowotny
QuantMethods

Re: Serving Adobe PDF to an MSIE Adobe Reader Plug-in

Greg Wilkins-5

Ned,

thanks for the report.

No we don't currently handle this special case.  But I created a JIRA issue
for this and I hope we will soon support it.

 http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-17

regards