Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings

Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings

Joakim Erdfelt-8
It's 2016.

Lets drop the timestamps from our versions strings on stable releases.
(pseudo snapshot/timestamps are still present outside of maven central)

That would mean our next release could be just "9.3.7"

Soliciting feedback on this proposed change.

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

Re: Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings

Paul Houle
I don't have a strong feeling.

I run a Jetty server that I upgrade maybe every two months or so and the number lets me get a quick read as to how old my Jetty is.  I like to stay up to date,  particularly because I run http/2 but if the upgrade is a distraction from a deadline I will put it off.  I am sure there are better ways to manage version issues,  but Jetty is just one of moving parts I am concerned with.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's 2016.

Lets drop the timestamps from our versions strings on stable releases.
(pseudo snapshot/timestamps are still present outside of maven central)

That would mean our next release could be just "9.3.7"

Soliciting feedback on this proposed change.

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

Paul Houle

Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems, Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   [hidden email]

:BaseKB -- Query Freebase Data With SPARQL

Legal Entity Identifier Lookup

Join our Data Lakes group on LinkedIn

Re: Seeking opinions on timestamps in version strings

Steve Sobol - Lobos Studios
++1000 (and in other places)

On 1/5/2016 10:52 AM, Silvio Bierman wrote:
I am all for the change. I never fancied the longer file names, it only makes it easier to make typos in my Ant files.

Cheers,

Silvio

On 01/05/2016 06:34 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
It's 2016.

Lets drop the timestamps from our versions strings on stable releases.
(pseudo snapshot/timestamps are still present outside of maven central)

That would mean our next release could be just "9.3.7"

Soliciting feedback on this proposed change.

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

Lobos Studios | Phone: 877.919.4WEB | LobosStudios.com | Facebook.com/LobosStudios | @LobosStudios
Web Development - Mobile Development - Helpdesk/Tech Support - Computer Sales & Service
Acer Authorized Reseller - Computers, Windows and Android Tablets, Accessories

Steve Sobol - CEO, Senior Developer and Server Jockey