Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

colin gray
Hello,

I'm using a ssh session on a Linux server to start an Embedded Jetty Server to run a web application that exposes web services. When I use the java -jar start.jar to bring up the Jetty web server instance I don't have access to the command line in that session and must open up a new ssh session in order to run a command line application that invokes the web services running on the jetty instance. Is there any way to run jetty in the background and in the same ssh session have access to the command line? Thanks for reading!

Colin

Re: Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

Kirk Pepperdine
run it as a background process on the command line by adding an & at the end.

Kirk

On 2012-03-15, at 5:53 AM, colin gray wrote:

Hello,

I'm using a ssh session on a Linux server to start an Embedded Jetty Server to run a web application that exposes web services. When I use the java -jar start.jar to bring up the Jetty web server instance I don't have access to the command line in that session and must open up a new ssh session in order to run a command line application that invokes the web services running on the jetty instance. Is there any way to run jetty in the background and in the same ssh session have access to the command line? Thanks for reading!

Colin

Re: Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

Jesse McConnell
I like using 'screen' in cases like this

have fun, its a great little bit of shell magic :)

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 03:45, Kirk Pepperdine
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> run it as a background process on the command line by adding an & at the
> end.
>
> Kirk
>
> On 2012-03-15, at 5:53 AM, colin gray wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm using a ssh session on a Linux server to start an Embedded Jetty Server
> to run a web application that exposes web services. When I use the java -jar
> start.jar to bring up the Jetty web server instance I don't have access to
> the command line in that session and must open up a new ssh session in order
> to run a command line application that invokes the web services running on
> the jetty instance. Is there any way to run jetty in the background and in
> the same ssh session have access to the command line? Thanks for reading!
>
> --
> Colin

Re: Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

Silvio Bierman
+1 for suggesting screen. It is my main deamon facility. I even created
a couple of simple shell scripts around it that allow me to start a
process as a "named service" and stop/restart it by name. Screen is great!

On 03/15/2012 12:59 PM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> I like using 'screen' in cases like this
>
> have fun, its a great little bit of shell magic :)
>
> jesse
>
> --
> jesse mcconnell
> [hidden email]
>

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 03:45, Kirk Pepperdine
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> run it as a background process on the command line by adding an&  at the
>> end.
>>
>> Kirk
>>
>> On 2012-03-15, at 5:53 AM, colin gray wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using a ssh session on a Linux server to start an Embedded Jetty Server
>> to run a web application that exposes web services. When I use the java -jar
>> start.jar to bring up the Jetty web server instance I don't have access to
>> the command line in that session and must open up a new ssh session in order
>> to run a command line application that invokes the web services running on
>> the jetty instance. Is there any way to run jetty in the background and in
>> the same ssh session have access to the command line? Thanks for reading!
>>
>> --
>> Colin

Re: Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

Filipe Sousa
I have been using Java Service Wrapper
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/download.jsp

On Friday, March 16, 2012, Silvio Bierman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for suggesting screen. It is my main deamon facility. I even created a couple of simple shell scripts around it that allow me to start a process as a "named service" and stop/restart it by name. Screen is great!
>

> On 03/15/2012 12:59 PM, Jesse McConnell wrote:
>>
>> I like using 'screen' in cases like this
>>
>> have fun, its a great little bit of shell magic :)
>>
>> jesse
>>
>> --
>> jesse mcconnell
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 03:45, Kirk Pepperdine
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> run it as a background process on the command line by adding an&  at the
>>> end.
>>>
>>> Kirk
>>>
>>> On 2012-03-15, at 5:53 AM, colin gray wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using a ssh session on a Linux server to start an Embedded Jetty Server
>>> to run a web application that exposes web services. When I use the java -jar
>>> start.jar to bring up the Jetty web server instance I don't have access to
>>> the command line in that session and must open up a new ssh session in order
>>> to run a command line application that invokes the web services running on
>>> the jetty instance. Is there any way to run jetty in the background and in
>>> the same ssh session have access to the command line? Thanks for reading!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Colin

Filipe Sousa

Re: Run Embedded Jetty Server in Background on Linux

Stephen Davidson-3

JBoss Service might be worth a look.
http://www.jboss.org/jbossweb/install/service.html
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/RunJBossAsAServiceOnWindows

Note that it apparently can run more than just JBoss (with some
tweaking, of course!). And its completely opensource.

Regards,
Steve