Remote Debugging

Fernando J. Zunino
I'm using Eclipse to develop a web application and I want to debug it.
Does anybody know if Jetty supports remote debugging using JPDA as
Tomcat does?

Thanks in advance,
Fernando Zunino

Re: Remote Debugging

Greg Wilkins-5

Fernando,

Jetty can be run just as an applicatio in eclipse and debugged normally.

Other than that, it is still just a normal java application and should be
able to be remotely debugged with JPDA just as any other java application can.

If there are any special steps that Jetty should take to assist with JPDA, I
don't know what they are, but would be happy to investigate supporting them
if somebody pointed me towards the requirements.

cheers

Fernando J. Zunino wrote:

> I'm using Eclipse to develop a web application and I want to debug it.
> Does anybody know if Jetty supports remote debugging using JPDA as
> Tomcat does?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fernando Zunino

Re: Re: Remote Debugging

Eric Rizzo
On 9/25/05, Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fernando,
>
> Jetty can be run just as an applicatio in eclipse and debugged normally.
>
> Other than that, it is still just a normal java application and should be
> able to be remotely debugged with JPDA just as any other java application can.
>
> If there are any special steps that Jetty should take to assist with JPDA, I
> don't know what they are, but would be happy to investigate supporting them
> if somebody pointed me towards the requirements.

No Greg, there is nothing special. JPDA is a VM-level thing, not an
application level thing. Jetty is no different than any other
application when it comes to JPDA.
Having said that, if you choose to use the start.jar to launch Jetty,
you will run into some issues in debugging. That is because the
environment (classpath, working directory) that is used to launch
Jetty via start.jar is very minimal (the org.mortbay.start.Main class
does it's own classpath assembly) - so the debugger gets confused
about where to find all the supporting libs and app classes.
After wrestling with launching/debugging Jetty from Eclipse, I can say
it is definitely easier if you use Jetty in "embedded mode" rather
than using start.jar - if you embed Jetty as part of your application,
you control the classpath your app starts with, and the debugger is
happy. Using start.jar is a lot more intricate and fragile for
debugging (at least form Eclipse).

HTH,
Eric