Release 6.0.Alpha1

Greg Wilkins-5

Releaes 6.0.Alpha1 is now available via http://jetty.mortbay.org

This release adds filters, dispatchers and web.xml support to the experimental server.

Jetty-6.0.ALPHA1
    + Dispatchers
    + Filters
    + web.xml handling

Jetty-6.0.ALPHA0
    * Totally rearchitected and rebuilt, so 10 years of cruft could be removed!
    * Improved "dependancy injection" and "inversion of control" design of components
    * Improved "interceptor" design of handlers
    * Smart split buffer design allows large buffers to only be allocated to active connections. The
      resulting memory savings allow very large buffers to be used, which increases the chance of efficient
      asynchronous flushing and of avoiding chunking.
    * Optional use of NIO Buffering so that efficient direct buffers and memory mapped files can be      used.
    * Optional use of NIO non-blocking scheduling so that threads are not allocated per connection.    * Optional use of NIO gather writes, so that for example a HTTP header and a memory mapped
    * file may be sent as sent is a single operation.
    - Missing Security
    - Missing Request Dispatchers
    - Missing web.xml based configuration
    - Missing war support

Authentication/Expect-Continue

Tony Seebregts
Hi,

Quick question - does Jetty send the 'continue' response to an
'expect-continue' request before it does the authentication challenge ?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm using the Jakarta HttpClient to connect to
Jetty and there seems to be a weird interaction happening. If authentication
is turned on (and is not preemptive) the HttpClient is making two attempts
to write the body of the request.

Setting the expect-continue header makes no difference so my guess is that
Jetty handles authentication/expect-continue differently to what HttpClient
expects ?

Regards

Tony

Re: Authentication/Expect-Continue

Greg Wilkins-5
Tony Seebregts wrote:

> Quick question - does Jetty send the 'continue' response to an
> 'expect-continue' request before it does the authentication challenge ?

If there is an expect-continue header AND there is no content available to be
read, then Jetty will send a continue header.

> Reason I'm asking is that I'm using the Jakarta HttpClient to connect to
> Jetty and there seems to be a weird interaction happening. If authentication
> is turned on (and is not preemptive) the HttpClient is making two attempts
> to write the body of the request.

this is normal - the client will make the request and the server will response
with "unauthenicated request" and include the realm name.   The client
then get's the username and password for that realm and sends the request again.

Of course a smart client could send the authentication details with the first
request and avoid this double request - but it would have to assume the realm.

Can you capture some headers with ethereal or similar so we can see what is happening.

RE: Authentication/Expect-Continue

Tony Seebregts
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. Ummm ... with BASIC authentication I can pre-emptively
send the authentication details and avoid the problem. But DIGEST and
certificates seems to require handshaking.

Is the chunked transfer-encoding being interpreted as "no content" perhaps ?

I guess you've seen the request/response headers in my follow up post ?

Regards

Tony

> Quick question - does Jetty send the 'continue' response to an
> 'expect-continue' request before it does the authentication challenge ?

If there is an expect-continue header AND there is no content available to
be
read, then Jetty will send a continue header.

> Reason I'm asking is that I'm using the Jakarta HttpClient to connect to
> Jetty and there seems to be a weird interaction happening. If
authentication
> is turned on (and is not preemptive) the HttpClient is making two attempts
> to write the body of the request.

this is normal - the client will make the request and the server will
response
with "unauthenicated request" and include the realm name.   The client
then get's the username and password for that realm and sends the request
again.

Of course a smart client could send the authentication details with the
first
request and avoid this double request - but it would have to assume the
realm.

Can you capture some headers with ethereal or similar so we can see what is
happening.

Re: Authentication/Expect-Continue

Greg Wilkins-5
Sorry for late response...  bin away...

Tony Seebregts wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Ummm ... with BASIC authentication I can pre-emptively
> send the authentication details and avoid the problem. But DIGEST and
> certificates seems to require handshaking.

Correct.

> Is the chunked transfer-encoding being interpreted as "no content" perhaps ?

It should not be.  The "no content" test is simply if there are characters
available to be read.

> I guess you've seen the request/response headers in my follow up post ?

Nope - I saw no followup post?