Release 6.0.ALPHA0

Greg Wilkins-5

Jetty release 6.0.ALPHA0 (previously known as Jetty Experimental) is now available
via http://jetty.mortbay.org.

This is definitely and alpha release, as it has not yet had any significant stress
testing and there are many missing features.  But then it is approaching being usable
for those who know Jetty config files or who configure programatically.

    * Totally rearchitected and rebuild, so 10 years of creft could be removed!
    * Improved "dependancy injection" and "inversion of control" design of components
    * Improved "interceptor" design of handlers
    * Smart split buffer design allows large buffers to only be allocated to active connections. The
      resulting memory savings allow very large buffers to be used, which increases the chance of efficient
      asynchronous flushing and of avoiding chunking.
    * Optional use of NIO Buffering so that efficient direct buffers and memory mapped files can be
      used.
    * Optional use of NIO non-blocking scheduling so that threads are not allocated per connection.
    * Optional use of NIO gather writes, so that for example a HTTP header and a memory mapped
    * file may be sent as sent is a single operation.
    - Missing Security
    - Missing Request Dispatchers
    - Missing web.xml based configuration
    - Missing war support

Re: Release 6.0.ALPHA0

David Jencks-2
I look forward to integrating this with geronimo soon!

One of the goals of geronimo deployment is to provide the option to
completely separate the xml-dd-munging of the deployment phase from the
component starting-and-running runtime phase.    We already have a
xmlbeans-based deployer adapted to configuring IOC objects.  Would you
be interested in investigating whether that could be reused or easily
adapted for Jetty 6?

thanks
david jencks

On May 8, 2005, at 4:14 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> Jetty release 6.0.ALPHA0 (previously known as Jetty Experimental) is
> now available
> via http://jetty.mortbay.org.
>
> This is definitely and alpha release, as it has not yet had any
> significant stress
> testing and there are many missing features.  But then it is
> approaching being usable
> for those who know Jetty config files or who configure programatically.
>
>     * Totally rearchitected and rebuild, so 10 years of creft could be
> removed!
>     * Improved "dependancy injection" and "inversion of control"
> design of components
>     * Improved "interceptor" design of handlers
>     * Smart split buffer design allows large buffers to only be
> allocated to active connections. The
>       resulting memory savings allow very large buffers to be used,
> which increases the chance of efficient
>       asynchronous flushing and of avoiding chunking.
>     * Optional use of NIO Buffering so that efficient direct buffers
> and memory mapped files can be
>       used.
>     * Optional use of NIO non-blocking scheduling so that threads are
> not allocated per connection.
>     * Optional use of NIO gather writes, so that for example a HTTP
> header and a memory mapped
>     * file may be sent as sent is a single operation.
>     - Missing Security
>     - Missing Request Dispatchers
>     - Missing web.xml based configuration
>     - Missing war support

Re: Release 6.0.ALPHA0

Greg Wilkins-5
David Jencks wrote:
> I look forward to integrating this with geronimo soon!
>
> One of the goals of geronimo deployment is to provide the option to
> completely separate the xml-dd-munging of the deployment phase from the
> component starting-and-running runtime phase.    We already have a
> xmlbeans-based deployer adapted to configuring IOC objects.  Would you
> be interested in investigating whether that could be reused or easily
> adapted for Jetty 6?

Mmmmm maybe - but I'm cautious about any external dependancies for the core
of Jetty.

But I am certainly going to start with the pluggable Configuration API
used in Jetty_5, so the geronimo configuration will definitely be pluggable,
but I'll defer the decision as to if it would be good for the main
Jetty release bundle.

I have similar calls to make for session management etc. where alternative
components are available.

I think the solution may be to have a simple core Jetty without those
dependancies and then have JettyPlus as the optioned up distro.

cheers

PS. Dispatchers this weekend... so the interceptor design can really be
tested!   It should be able to be done without wrappers as the base
request/response objects can be modified and reset by intercepting handlers.

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On May 8, 2005, at 4:14 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>

>> Jetty release 6.0.ALPHA0 (previously known as Jetty Experimental) is
>> now available
>> via http://jetty.mortbay.org.
>>
>> This is definitely and alpha release, as it has not yet had any
>> significant stress
>> testing and there are many missing features.  But then it is
>> approaching being usable
>> for those who know Jetty config files or who configure programatically.
>>
>>     * Totally rearchitected and rebuild, so 10 years of creft could be
>> removed!
>>     * Improved "dependancy injection" and "inversion of control"
>> design of components
>>     * Improved "interceptor" design of handlers
>>     * Smart split buffer design allows large buffers to only be
>> allocated to active connections. The
>>       resulting memory savings allow very large buffers to be used,
>> which increases the chance of efficient
>>       asynchronous flushing and of avoiding chunking.
>>     * Optional use of NIO Buffering so that efficient direct buffers
>> and memory mapped files can be
>>       used.
>>     * Optional use of NIO non-blocking scheduling so that threads are
>> not allocated per connection.
>>     * Optional use of NIO gather writes, so that for example a HTTP
>> header and a memory mapped
>>     * file may be sent as sent is a single operation.
>>     - Missing Security
>>     - Missing Request Dispatchers
>>     - Missing web.xml based configuration
>>     - Missing war support

> Get your fingers limbered up and give it your best shot. 4 great events, 4
> opportunities to win big! Highest score wins.NEC IT Guy Games. Play to
> win an NEC 61 plasma display. Visit http://www.necitguy.com/?r=20

Re: Release 6.0.ALPHA0

Jon Valvatne
Greg Wilkins <gregw <at> mortbay.com> writes:

> Jetty release 6.0.ALPHA0 (previously known as Jetty Experimental) is now
> available via http://jetty.mortbay.org.

<snip>

This looks very interesting for a project I'm working on, but I'm having
trouble finding any sort of documentation except for the javadoc. Could
you give me pointers to any documentation that might exist? Alternately,
maybe you could just quickly explain how to go about initializing Jetty 6
as an embedded server / servlet container?

Thanks in advance,

Jon Valvatne

Re: Release 6.0.ALPHA0

Greg Wilkins-5

Jon,

sorry - a little lazy on the documentation.

But the best place to start is the jetty.xml.   If you stand back and squint while
looking at it - it is actually java code - just written in xml!

So you will see the steps needed to create a server, add connectors, contexts
and servlets.

This can be done in XML or just write the code the same.

Think spring and dependancy injection.  So if you want a connection, new one and
then call the appropriate setters to link it to the server.  ditto for contexts and
handlers.

I'll do an architecture doc soon....

Jon Valvatne wrote:

> Greg Wilkins <gregw <at> mortbay.com> writes:
>

>>Jetty release 6.0.ALPHA0 (previously known as Jetty Experimental) is now
>>available via http://jetty.mortbay.org.
>>

> <snip>
>
> This looks very interesting for a project I'm working on, but I'm having
> trouble finding any sort of documentation except for the javadoc. Could
> you give me pointers to any documentation that might exist? Alternately,
> maybe you could just quickly explain how to go about initializing Jetty 6
> as an embedded server / servlet container?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jon Valvatne

Re: Re: Release 6.0.ALPHA0

Chia Chang
Jon,

Also another good place to get started is the tutorial...

Tutorial
http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/tut/index.html

Though it may not be able to apply to Jetty 6 ALPHA directly, but that
was how I started.

Hope this helps.

~chia