Release 6.0.0beta9

Greg Wilkins-5

Jetty release 6.0.0beta9 is now available via http://jetty.mortbay.org

this release fixes a number of stability issues created with the
optimizations in beta 7 and 8

jetty-6.0.0beta9 9/2/2006
    + PathMap for direct context mapping.
    + Refactored chat demo and upgraded prototype.js
    + Continuation cleanup
    + Fixed unraw decoding of query string
    + Fixed dispatch of wrapped requests.
    + Fixed double flush of short content.
    + Added request log.
    + Added CGI servlet.
    + Force a tempdir to be set.
    + Force jasper scratch dir.
    + fixed setLocale bug sf1426940
    + Added TLD tag listener handling.

Re: Release 6.0.0beta9

Ceki Gulcu-2

Request log feature added just in time for me to start working on
LOGBack's access module for Jetty6. Nice. :-)

--
Ceki Gülcü

Enhancement requests

Ceki Gulcu-2

During the development of an advanced access logger implementing
Jetty's RequestLog interface, I ran into the following problems which
all involve either the o.m.jetty.Request or o.m.jetty.Response
classes.

Content length
==============

I need to determine the number of bytes written in the
response. Currently, NCSARequestLog computes the content length as
follows:

    request.getConnection().getGenerator().getContentWritten();

However, the getGenerator() method in HttpConnection class is not
visible outside the o.m.jetty package.

In their implementation of HttpServletResponse, both Resin and Tomcat
offer methods that return the number of bytes written out. These
methods are named getContentLength() and getContentCount(), for Resin
and respectively Tomcat. Could you please add a similar method in
o.m.jetty.Response? Alternatively, could the getGenerator() method in
HttpConnection class declared as public?

Response header
===============

Although the addHeader() and setHeader() methods are part of it, there
is no getHeader() method in javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse.
However, both Resin and Tomcat offer a getHeader(String) method in
their respective implementations. If possible, could you please add a
getHeader() method in o.m.jetty.Response?

Processing duration in milliseconds
===================================

In order to compute the time it took to process the request, it is
very useful to know when the request was received. The
o.m.jetty.Request class already contains the getTimeStamp() which
returns a long. Resin's HttpServletRequest implementation contains a
similar method. As experts participating in the Servlet API
specification, would it be possible to lobby to add such a method in
the HttpServletRequest interface?

Status code
===========

The HttpServletResponse class contains a public setStatus method but
surprisingly enough it has no getStatus() method. Moreover, Jetty,
Resin and Tomcat all offer methods to get the status code. These
methods are respectively named getStatus(), getStatusCode() and
getStatus().  As experts participating in the Servlet API
specification, would it be possible for you to lobby to add a
getStatus() method in the HttpServletResponse interface?

I hope you will find the above reasonable,

--
Ceki Gülcü