Re: Re: Re: Jetty as file server

John Slave
I am writing a project in which i need a file server to transfer files
through http. In this application i have a properties object in which i
can set all the files to share...i want these files (in different
directories) shared so the client will see only these files. In jetty i
want to find a way to add a specific resource (not a directory but only
a file). The client will perform request with file name, and then will
be served immediately with the file. The mapping between request file
name and response should be automatic. Do it? I'd like a behaviour like
http://minishare.sourceforge.net or many other programs. (I can surpass
the problem copying file into a directory and setting it as context but
i prefer not touching files so i am finding a solution to tell jetty
only to serve specific files).

Thanks in advance
John Slave

Hi John,

You are still not telling us enough about your requirement. How are you deciding
which file(s) people can see?  Is it dependent on who the person is?  Is it
dependent on time of day?  What?  Otherwise I don't understand why you don't
just move the 'invisible' files out of the directory.

Chris Haynes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jetty as file server

Chris Haynes
Let's see if I've got this right:

You will write a properties file which will have in it a list of the files to be
served.

Will you be stopping and re-starting Jetty each time this list changes, or do
you want Jetty to track changes in the properties file dynamically?

How do people know that a new file is ready to be requested? Is there some index
page which is also changed?

Or do you want the Jetty-generated directory listing to be visible. but only
showing the files which are available?

BTW, which OS are you running on? Linux may offer an opportunity of doing what
you need without any changes to Jetty.

Chris Haynes