Re: Load Balancing Jetty

John Patterson-7
Russell Howe <russell_howe <at> wreckage.org> writes:

> Sun. 1.4 is working OK for me, and I haven't had the time yet to really
> investigate the problems I had with 1.5 further.

Russell, I have recently upgraded to use Java 5.0 on my User Mode Linux servers
 and came accross the same problem as you.  The Java process would hang with
100% CPU after running OK for a few minutes.

I think I have solved the problem by starting the JVM with -Xshare=off.  I tried
this because I had read of a bug in UML to do with memory mapping files.  Java
5.0 can map classes to files for faster start up time.  I think that this is
only of benifit is you run more than one JVM.

So far so good.  Jetty has been running for 2 days whereas without turning
shared memory off it would hang after a few minutes of use.  Hope this helps.

John.

Re: Re: Load Balancing Jetty

Russell Howe
John Patterson wrote:

> Russell, I have recently upgraded to use Java 5.0 on my User Mode Linux servers
> and came accross the same problem as you.  The Java process would hang with
> 100% CPU after running OK for a few minutes.
>
> I think I have solved the problem by starting the JVM with -Xshare=off.

Ooh, interesting - thanks!

I've got two instances of Jetty running now, using Apache's mod_jk to
load balance between the two. One is the UML instance, the other is
running under a Xen virtual machine, and both seem to be doing fine,
although the UML JVM is 1.4.2 still.

Hopefully I can now upgrade it to 1.5.x and classes compiled on my
desktop can then just be copied directly across to the servers. That'll
save me some hassle.

Then maybe I can get around to using ant to automatically deploy the
stuff, making sure everything is in sync between the two servers.

--
Russell Howe
[hidden email]

Today's Nemi: http://www.metro.co.uk/img/pix/nemi_may13.jpg