Question regarding JMX license in Jetty (LiCENSE.jmx.txt in the etc directory)

Question regarding JMX license in Jetty (LiCENSE.jmx.txt in the etc directory)

Vish Krishnan
Hello,

I was looking through the different licenses included along with Jetty components, and came upon the JMX license (it is also in your CVS repository , viewable at  https://jsecom15d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=5E5A42D6C8EBB5FA19CC8527CE079ED7

Clause #3 in this license includes the following stipulation:

3 Mandatory Designation.
As a condition to the license grant provided in Sections
1 and 2, you shall refer to the JMX technology by placing
the "fair use" designation "Contains the JMX(TM)
Technology" or "Includes the JMX(TM) Technology"
("Designation")
(i) for tangible your Product(s) media: on external
packaging for your Product(s), on the accompanying
documentation and the media containing your Product(s)
(disk, CD-ROM, tape, etc.);
(ii) for on-line versions of your Product(s): on web
pages featuring information about your Product(s);
(iii) for both tangible media and on-line versions of
your Product(s), on splash screens appearing upon launch
of your Product(s) and in general your Product(s)
information screens (e.g., "About", "Help", "Info"); and
(iv) on tangible marketing collateral featuring your
Product(s), including advertisements and datasheets.
Wherever you display the Designation, you must also
display your own corporate name and logo, and must
display the Designation
(i) in a size and style less prominent than, and separately
from any of, your own names, marks or logos,
(ii) in a uniform size and style so that no single part
of the Designation is more prominent than any other part,
(iii) separately from any other name, mark or logo,
(iv) incorporating the TM symbol, and
(v) in such a manner that it is clear that the Designation
refers only to the specific your Product(s) which
incorporate the JMX technology and not any other product
of you or any third party. You shall legibly display the
following trademark legend on all materials in or on which
you display the Designation: "JMX and all JMX based
trademarks and logos are trademarks or registered trademarks
of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries."
Upon written Notice by Sun, you shall, within thirty
(30) calendar days, rectify any non-compliance of your
Product(s) and associated materials with the requirements
in this Section 3 and give notice to Sun of the specific
modifications or steps taken to ensure compliance.

I have also looked at the JMX license on the Sun Developer Network site (available via https://jsecom15a.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=82440E03EE904C1EA7FA50215321D54C).  The corresponding Sun JMX license is available at https://jsecom15d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=5E5A42D6C8EBB5FA19CC8527CE079ED7.

The Sun license does not contain any stipulation with regard to such "Mandatory Designation".  Since JMX-related trademarks belong to Sun, I am just curious how the differences between these two licenses came to be.  Any explanation you can provide will be appreciated.

regards
Vish Krishnan
Software Consultant

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles, informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click _______________________________________________ Jetty-support mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jetty-support

Re: Question regarding JMX license in Jetty (LiCENSE.jmx.txt in the etc directory)

Greg Wilkins-5

I will double check this, but I think that license is for the JMX reference implemation,
which we no longer use.  We just use mx4j now, which is apache licensed like Jetty.

regards