Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

Johannes Hoffart
I have been struggling with a problem using the jetty-maven-plugin in our project for a couple of days now and have a hard time figuring out a solution.

The trouble started when we upgraded our AIDA project [1] to Java8, switching to Jetty 9.3.0M1 when we upgraded. The 9.3.0M1 milestone seems to have an issue with threading, it eats a lot of CPU, which the previously used version did not, so I wanted to go back to the 9.2.10.v20150310 stable release, branched at [2]. Unfortunately, I have hit another problem here, which seems to be a class loading problem.

When I start our service with

mvn jetty:run

I get the following error (full log at http://pastebin.com/16unKYxU ):

2015-04-21 11:09:20.117:WARN:oejuc.AbstractLifeCycle:main: FAILED o.e.j.m.p.JettyWebAppContext@2f5c1332{/aida,file:/Users/jhoffart/Code/github/aida/src/mpi/aida/service/web/,STARTING}{file:/Users/jhoffart/Code/github/aida/src/mpi/aida/service/web/}: java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.apache.juli.logging.Log: Provider org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog not a subtype
java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.apache.juli.logging.Log: Provider org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog not a subtype
        at java.util.ServiceLoader.fail(ServiceLoader.java:239)
        at java.util.ServiceLoader.access$300(ServiceLoader.java:185)
        at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.nextService(ServiceLoader.java:376)
        at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.next(ServiceLoader.java:404)

I investigated and it seems that org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog is loaded twice by the ServiceLoader. The first time it works, the second time it fails with the above error. To my eyes, the ClassLoaders are the same.

I also tried jetty-maven-plugin in a new project, where all versions work fine, so it seems to be a conflict with another dependency of our aida project. Unfortunately, I have failed to find a good way to identify where exactly the problem comes from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Johannes

[1] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida
[2] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida/tree/jetty-9.2

Re: Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

Jan Bartel-3
Johannes,

I suspect you have conflicting versions of jasper jars on your
classpath. Have you tried doing mvn dependency:tree to verify this?

Jan

On 21 April 2015 at 19:34, Johannes Hoffart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been struggling with a problem using the jetty-maven-plugin in our project for a couple of days now and have a hard time figuring out a solution.
>
> The trouble started when we upgraded our AIDA project [1] to Java8, switching to Jetty 9.3.0M1 when we upgraded. The 9.3.0M1 milestone seems to have an issue with threading, it eats a lot of CPU, which the previously used version did not, so I wanted to go back to the 9.2.10.v20150310 stable release, branched at [2]. Unfortunately, I have hit another problem here, which seems to be a class loading problem.
>
> When I start our service with
>
> mvn jetty:run
>
> I get the following error (full log at http://pastebin.com/16unKYxU ):
>
> 2015-04-21 11:09:20.117:WARN:oejuc.AbstractLifeCycle:main: FAILED o.e.j.m.p.JettyWebAppContext@2f5c1332{/aida,file:/Users/jhoffart/Code/github/aida/src/mpi/aida/service/web/,STARTING}{file:/Users/jhoffart/Code/github/aida/src/mpi/aida/service/web/}: java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.apache.juli.logging.Log: Provider org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog not a subtype
> java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.apache.juli.logging.Log: Provider org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog not a subtype
>         at java.util.ServiceLoader.fail(ServiceLoader.java:239)
>         at java.util.ServiceLoader.access$300(ServiceLoader.java:185)
>         at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.nextService(ServiceLoader.java:376)
>         at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.next(ServiceLoader.java:404)
>
> I investigated and it seems that org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog is loaded twice by the ServiceLoader. The first time it works, the second time it fails with the above error. To my eyes, the ClassLoaders are the same.
>
> I also tried jetty-maven-plugin in a new project, where all versions work fine, so it seems to be a conflict with another dependency of our aida project. Unfortunately, I have failed to find a good way to identify where exactly the problem comes from.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
> Johannes
>
> [1] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida
> [2] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida/tree/jetty-9.2

Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
www.webtide.com
'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

Re: Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

Johannes Hoffart
Jan,

thanks for your response. This was also my first intuition, but I don't think that I have conflicting versions here. I pasted the output of mvn dependency:tree here: http://pastebin.com/jtaQejjR

I investigated further by putting a breakpoint in ServiceLoader.nextService():

The class org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog is tried for loading two times. The first time it works fine, the second time the Error below is thrown. The ClassLoader seems to be the same as well. I could not find any other maven dependency that in the end boils down to  org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog, so I don't understand why it is loaded twice. Is there an easy way to figure out which maven dependency actually causes the loading of this class?

Cheers
Johannes

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 05:25, Jan Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Johannes,
>
> I suspect you have conflicting versions of jasper jars on your
> classpath. Have you tried doing mvn dependency:tree to verify this?
>
> Jan
>
> On 21 April 2015 at 19:34, Johannes Hoffart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have been struggling with a problem using the jetty-maven-plugin in our project for a couple of days now and have a hard time figuring out a solution.
>>
>> The trouble started when we upgraded our AIDA project [1] to Java8, switching to Jetty 9.3.0M1 when we upgraded. The 9.3.0M1 milestone seems to have an issue with threading, it eats a lot of CPU, which the previously used version did not, so I wanted to go back to the 9.2.10.v20150310 stable release, branched at [2]. Unfortunately, I have hit another problem here, which seems to be a class loading problem.
>>
>> When I start our service with
>>
>> mvn jetty:run
>>
>> I get the following error (full log at http://pastebin.com/16unKYxU ):
>>
>> 2015-04-21 11:09:20.117:WARN:oejuc.AbstractLifeCycle:main: FAILED o.e.j.m.p.JettyWebAppContext@2f5c1332{/aida,file:/Users/jhoffart/Code/github/aida/src/mpi/aida/service/web/,STARTING}{file:/Users/jhoffart/Code/github/aida/src/mpi/aida/service/web/}: java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.apache.juli.logging.Log: Provider org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog not a subtype
>> java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.apache.juli.logging.Log: Provider org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog not a subtype
>>        at java.util.ServiceLoader.fail(ServiceLoader.java:239)
>>        at java.util.ServiceLoader.access$300(ServiceLoader.java:185)
>>        at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.nextService(ServiceLoader.java:376)
>>        at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.next(ServiceLoader.java:404)
>>
>> I investigated and it seems that org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog is loaded twice by the ServiceLoader. The first time it works, the second time it fails with the above error. To my eyes, the ClassLoaders are the same.
>>
>> I also tried jetty-maven-plugin in a new project, where all versions work fine, so it seems to be a conflict with another dependency of our aida project. Unfortunately, I have failed to find a good way to identify where exactly the problem comes from.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Johannes
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida
>> [2] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida/tree/jetty-9.2

> Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
> www.webtide.com
> 'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

Re: Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

Christoph Läubrich
You should set a break point and inspect the call stack that leads to
the ServiceLoader call. Maybe you have two different loaded versions of
ServiceLoader?

Am 22.04.2015 08:26, schrieb Johannes Hoffart:

> Jan,
>
> thanks for your response. This was also my first intuition, but I don't think that I have conflicting versions here. I pasted the output of mvn dependency:tree here: http://pastebin.com/jtaQejjR
>
> I investigated further by putting a breakpoint in ServiceLoader.nextService():
>
> The class org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog is tried for loading two times. The first time it works fine, the second time the Error below is thrown. The ClassLoader seems to be the same as well. I could not find any other maven dependency that in the end boils down to  org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog, so I don't understand why it is loaded twice. Is there an easy way to figure out which maven dependency actually causes the loading of this class?
>
> Cheers
> Johannes

Re: Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

Dimitar Georgiev

getClass().getProtectionDomain().getCodeSource().getLocation();

On 22 Apr 2015 09:26, "Johannes Hoffart" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I investigated and it seems that org.eclipse.jetty.apache.jsp.JuliLog is loaded twice by the ServiceLoader. The first time it works, the second time it fails with the above error. To my eyes, the ClassLoaders are the same.
>>
>> I also tried jetty-maven-plugin in a new project, where all versions work fine, so it seems to be a conflict with another dependency of our aida project. Unfortunately, I have failed to find a good way to identify where exactly the problem comes from.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Johannes
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida
>> [2] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida/tree/jetty-9.2

> Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
> www.webtide.com
> 'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

Re: Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

You have added the jetty-maven-plugin as a <dependency>. It should
surely be declared as just a <plugin> in your pom.

Jan

On 22 April 2015 at 16:26, Johannes Hoffart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I also tried jetty-maven-plugin in a new project, where all versions work fine, so it seems to be a conflict with another dependency of our aida project. Unfortunately, I have failed to find a good way to identify where exactly the problem comes from.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Johannes
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida
>>> [2] https://github.com/yago-naga/aida/tree/jetty-9.2
>>

>> --
>> Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
>> www.webtide.com
>> 'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
www.webtide.com
'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'

Re: Problem with jetty-maven-plugin and classloading

thanks a lot - this was what caused the problem! This dependency had been added at the very beginning and always worked, that's why I never questioned it.

Also thanks to everyone else for the pointers.

Cheers
Johannes