Problem with JSTL and Jetty running under OSGI

Problem with JSTL and Jetty running under OSGI

Tom Hoffman
I'm using version jetty-9.3.0.v20150612 in an OSGI environment, with v2.5 of the Servlet specification. I've inherited a mass/mess of old Java Servlet code that works, that is replete with security issues. I'm trying to address some of the XSS issues by using JSTL. I've added the required JSTL directive at the top of the JSP files:

 <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" prefix="c" %>

But when I first access this jsp page, it fails and I see the following in the error log:

2019-01-08 20:44:44,606 qtp1697835528-134 WARN org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler -   org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /jsp/applicationsChoice.jsp(1,63) PWC6188: The absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:92)

I've seen many old references that suggest there was at one point in time issues with JSTL and the Jetty 9.x release. Is this old information? Can someone supply a pointer or two?

Re: Problem with JSTL and Jetty running under OSGI

Joakim Erdfelt-8
9.3.0 is very old now. (the entire 9.3.x series is on security maintenance atm and isn't being updated anymore)

There are a number of quirks throughout the 9.3.0 series related to JSTL and the need (or not) for the WEB-INF/lib/ to contain the appropriate jstl jar files (or not).
The 9.4.x series on the other hand is much cleaner in this regard.  Have you tried a more recent / stable version of Jetty?

Joakim Erdfelt / [hidden email]

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM Tom Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No, I have not tried that.  This is a new area for me, so really just getting my feet wet on how this all works. I will see about trying 9.4.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Tom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Hoffman

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:36 AM Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I'll check into that as well!

Tom
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tom Hoffman

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:38 AM Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jan Bartel
And do have a read of the 9.3 doco for jetty in osgi here: https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/9.3.25.v20180904/framework-jetty-osgi.html

Jan

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 04:46, Tom Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
www.webtide.com
Expert assistance from the creators of Jetty and CometD

Re: Problem with JSTL and Jetty running under OSGI

Tom Hoffman
thanks Jan. I will check into both of those resources.
I appreciate it!

Tom
Tom Hoffman