Multiple listeners and web applications

Russell Neufeld
Hi all,

    Is there a way to set up multiple listeners and have them only
associated with particular web applications?  For example, we currently
have the following running in the same jvm instance:

listener1 (port 8080) --+
listener2 (port 8483) --|---------------  Server1 ----  webapp1

listener3 (port 8000) --+
listener4 (port 8443) --|---------------  Server2 ----  webapp2

listener5 (port 8888) --+
listener6 (port 8883) --|---------------  Server3 ----  webapp3

I'd rather only have one instance of a Jetty server instead of three,
but I can't seem to figure out how to assign specific listeners to
specific webapps.  Is this possible?  Is it not possible in the xml
config file and only in code?  Are there examples anywhere?

    Thanks,

       Russ

Re: Multiple listeners and web applications

Nigel Canonizado
Hi Russ,

What particular version of Jetty are you using ?

Regards,

Nigel

>    Is there a way to set up multiple listeners and have them only
> associated with particular web applications?  For example, we currently
> have the following running in the same jvm instance:
>
> listener1 (port 8080) --+
> listener2 (port 8483) --|---------------  Server1 ----  webapp1
>
> listener3 (port 8000) --+
> listener4 (port 8443) --|---------------  Server2 ----  webapp2
>
> listener5 (port 8888) --+
> listener6 (port 8883) --|---------------  Server3 ----  webapp3
>
> I'd rather only have one instance of a Jetty server instead of three, but
> I can't seem to figure out how to assign specific listeners to specific
> webapps.  Is this possible?  Is it not possible in the xml config file and
> only in code?  Are there examples anywhere?
>
>    Thanks,
>
>       Russ

Re: Multiple listeners and web applications

Russell Neufeld
We're using version 5.1.10.

>Hi Russ,
>
>What particular version of Jetty are you using ?
>
>Regards,
>
>Nigel
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>   Is there a way to set up multiple listeners and have them only
>>associated with particular web applications?  For example, we currently
>>have the following running in the same jvm instance:
>>
>>listener1 (port 8080) --+
>>listener2 (port 8483) --|---------------  Server1 ----  webapp1
>>
>>listener3 (port 8000) --+
>>listener4 (port 8443) --|---------------  Server2 ----  webapp2
>>
>>listener5 (port 8888) --+
>>listener6 (port 8883) --|---------------  Server3 ----  webapp3
>>
>>I'd rather only have one instance of a Jetty server instead of three, but
>>I can't seem to figure out how to assign specific listeners to specific
>>webapps.  Is this possible?  Is it not possible in the xml config file and
>>only in code?  Are there examples anywhere?
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>
>>      Russ

Re: Multiple listeners and web applications

Nigel Canonizado
Hi Russell,

Sorry for the late response. Here is my opinion : I think what you want to
implement is not possible. A Server can have different listeners on
different ports and it could also have different web applications, but
there's no way that you can assign a specific port to a web application
without the Server instance.

Regards,

Nigel

>>What particular version of Jetty are you using ?
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Nigel
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>   Is there a way to set up multiple listeners and have them only
>>> associated with particular web applications?  For example, we currently
>>> have the following running in the same jvm instance:
>>>
>>>listener1 (port 8080) --+
>>>listener2 (port 8483) --|---------------  Server1 ----  webapp1
>>>
>>>listener3 (port 8000) --+
>>>listener4 (port 8443) --|---------------  Server2 ----  webapp2
>>>
>>>listener5 (port 8888) --+
>>>listener6 (port 8883) --|---------------  Server3 ----  webapp3
>>>
>>>I'd rather only have one instance of a Jetty server instead of three, but
>>>I can't seem to figure out how to assign specific listeners to specific
>>>webapps.  Is this possible?  Is it not possible in the xml config file
>>>and only in code?  Are there examples anywhere?
>>>
>>>   Thanks,
>>>
>>>      Russ

Re: Multiple listeners and web applications

The solution is to have 3 server instances.
this is very cheap as a server is just a binding of listeners to handlers.

If you don't want to do this, then you can write custom handlers to
each context that will reject requests from the wrong listeners.

cheers