Maven2 plugin - new features

jan_bartel
For those that are interested:

A new snapshot 20060215.095015-22 has been pushed to the mortbay repository.

It is a significant refactoring of the plugin implementation which is intended
to allow the jetty5 plugin from the mojo project at codehaus to share the same
functionality. More on that in a later post.

Most importantly, the snapshot supports 2 new goals and some new configuration
parameters.

The goals are now:

 jetty6:run
 jetty6:run-war       *new*
 jetty6:run-exploded  *new*

The "run-war" goal will first assemble your webapp into a war and then deploy it
to jetty6. This is useful if your webapp is complex to build and executing the
"compile" phase isn't sufficient. As with the "run" goal, you can specify a
scan interval to keep Jetty watching the pom.xml and war file for changes and
automatically redeploy it if changes are detected (eg if you execute mvn
war:war in a different window).

The "run-exploded" goal will assembled your webapp into its exploded form and
deploy it to jetty6. As with the "run" goal, you can specify a scan interval to
keep jetty watching WEB-INF and your pom.xml and automatically redeploy if changes
are detected.

The plugin now also supports the optional configuration parameter <jettyConfig/>
which is the location of a jetty.xml file. This file will be applied to jetty
*before* any plugin configuration. You can use the jetty.xml file to configure
any additional jetty objects: connectors, realms, handlers, webapps etc. This
is useful, for example, if you have a static webapp which is not part of your
maven build but you need deployed to test.

The documentation on the jetty6 plugin website has not yet been updated, but
I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any feedback from the list
about the new snapshot.

Re: Maven2 plugin - new features

Jorg Heymans

Jan Bartel wrote:

> The documentation on the jetty6 plugin website has not yet been
> updated, but I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any
> feedback from the list about the new snapshot.

This might not be related to the new release, but logging doesn't work
for me at the moment. I've configured log4j 1.2.13 as dependency and
have it initialized through spring's Log4jConfiglistener. What happens
is that spring seems to initialize the logging system ok (ie the
configured appender files get created), but no logging messages appear
in the files. Are there any gotcha's to watch out for ? I tried it under
jetty6 standalone as well with the same results, so i'm thinking there
must be something i'm missing for initializing log4j correctly. I'm not
using JCL though.

Regards
Jorg

Re: Maven2 plugin - new features

jan_bartel
Hi Jorg,

I don't know of any gotchas, other than I always seem to get the
minimum log level for the appender and the minimum log level of
the category mixed up in log4j ;-)

Are you using log4j only within your webapp or have you got it
configured for the whole container? Are you using the slf4j
log4j impl or the actual log4j.jar?