Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Clive Jevons
Hi all,

We've got an artifactory server running using Jetty 6. When we try to upload a file >50MB it fails with an HTTP 413. Does anyone know which config option I have to tweak to get Jetty to accept uploads >50MB?

Cheers,

Re: Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Mario Rübsam
Clive,

try to set the following Java property when you start the server:

-Dorg.mortbay.jetty.Request.maxFormContentSize=5000000

for max 50MB uploads or a higher value if you need.

-Mario

Clive Jevons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've got an artifactory server running using Jetty 6. When we try to upload
> a file >50MB it fails with an HTTP 413. Does anyone know which config option
> I have to tweak to get Jetty to accept uploads >50MB?
>
> Cheers,

Re: Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Clive Jevons
Hi Mario,

Thanks for the quick response - I tried it straight away, but the turnaround is rather slow, hence the delay in reply :)
Unfortunately that didn't seem to help :( Just to make sure I did everything right, here's what I tried:

%_JAVACMD% -Xmx640m -Djetty.home="%ARTIFACTORY_HOME%" -Dartifactory.home="%ARTIFACTORY_HOME%" -Dorg.mortbay.jetty.Request.maxFormContentSize=100000000 -cp "%ARTIFACTORY_HOME%\artifactory.jar" org.artifactory.standalone.main.Main %*

And here's what I got:

[INFO] Retrieving previous build number from npi-artifactory
Uploading: http://msgp382k.f.msg.de:8081/artifactory/libs-snapshots/com/db/pos/app/msg/npi-dealerfrontend-ear/0.3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/npi-dealerfrontend-ear-0.3.0.0-20080612.230234-1.ear
59169K uploaded
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error deploying artifact: Failed to transfer file: http://msgp382k.f.msg.de:8081/artifactory/libs-snapshots/com/db/pos/app/msg/npi-dealerfrontend-ear/0.3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/npi-dealerfrontend-ear-0.3.0.0-20080612.230234-1.ear. Return code is: 413
[INFO] Total time: 80 minutes 3 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Jun 13 02:21:49 CEST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 179M/662M

(Same as before).
I'll be much obliged for any further tips you might have ;)

Cheers,
Mario Rübsam wrote

Clive Jevons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've got an artifactory server running using Jetty 6. When we try to upload
> a file >50MB it fails with an HTTP 413. Does anyone know which config option
> I have to tweak to get Jetty to accept uploads >50MB?
>
> Cheers,

Re: Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Jan Bartel
Hi Clive,

What do the log files show?

Also, which version of jetty are you/artifactory using?

Jan Bartel, Webtide LLC | [hidden email] | http://www.webtide.com

Re: Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Clive Jevons
Hi Jan,

I'm using Jetty v.6.1.6 which came with Artifactory v.1.2.5.

Here's an excerpt from the log file:

2008-06-10 01:27:32,734 [ERROR] (DatabasePersistenceManager.java:472{10})     - failed to write property state: 75ccf639-f721-4da5-bfa8-56f29c765cbe/{http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0}data
java.io.IOException: Es steht nicht genug Speicherplatz auf dem Datentr?ger zur Verf?gung
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:260)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.value.BLOBFileValue.<init>(BLOBFileValue.java:152)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.value.InternalValue.create(InternalValue.java:207)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.util.Serializer.serialize(Serializer.java:222)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.db.DatabasePersistenceManager.store(DatabasePersistenceManager.java:462)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.AbstractPersistenceManager.store(AbstractPersistenceManager.java:75)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.db.DatabasePersistenceManager.store(DatabasePersistenceManager.java:274)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.SharedItemStateManager$Update.end(SharedItemStateManager.java:688)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.SharedItemStateManager.update(SharedItemStateManager.java:855)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.LocalItemStateManager.update(LocalItemStateManager.java:326)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.XAItemStateManager.update(XAItemStateManager.java:313)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.LocalItemStateManager.update(LocalItemStateManager.java:302)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.SessionItemStateManager.update(SessionItemStateManager.java:306)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.ItemImpl.save(ItemImpl.java:1240)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.SessionImpl.save(SessionImpl.java:849)
        at org.artifactory.jcr.JcrSessionWrapper.save(JcrSessionWrapper.java:109)
        at org.artifactory.jcr.JcrHelper.closeSession(JcrHelper.java:546)
        at org.artifactory.jcr.JcrHelper.unbindSession(JcrHelper.java:196)
        at org.artifactory.webapp.servlet.RepoFilter.doFilterInternal(RepoFilter.java:176)
        at org.artifactory.webapp.servlet.ArtifactoryFilter.doFilter(ArtifactoryFilter.java:95)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(BasicProcessingFilter.java:173)
        at org.artifactory.webapp.servlet.AccessFilter.doFilterInternal(AccessFilter.java:77)
        at org.artifactory.webapp.servlet.ArtifactoryFilter.doFilter(ArtifactoryFilter.java:95)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:3

... I'm not 100% sure this is the exception, but it would certainly seem to fit with a 413? But the thing is that there's still a good 15GB on the disk, and the file I'm uploading is only just over 50MB. Of course, its perfectly possible that its an Artifactory issue rather than a Jetty issue - but if anyone can think of any tweaks I can apply to Jetty which might help, please let me know :)

Thanks to everyone for your help! :)

Cheers,

janb wrote

Jan Bartel, Webtide LLC | janb@webtide.com | http://www.webtide.com

Re: Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

Mario Rübsam
Hi Clive,

this sounds like a different problem.
"java.io.IOException: Es steht nicht genug Speicherplatz auf dem Datentr?ger
zur Verf?gung" means you don't have enough disk space for the IO operation.
Check if you have enough space on the drive/partition where the tmp/temp
folder is. Check where the content repository is located and if there is
enough space. Sometimes wrong user rights on the file system lead to the
same error message.

-Mario

Clive Jevons wrote:

> [...]
>>> [INFO] Error deploying artifact: Failed to transfer file:
>>> http://msgp382k.f.msg.de:8081/artifactory/libs-snapshots/com/db/pos/app/msg/npi-dealerfrontend-ear/0.3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/npi-dealerfrontend-ear-0.3.0.0-20080612.230234-1.ear.
>>> Return code is: 413
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] Total time: 80 minutes 3 seconds
>>> [INFO] Finished at: Fri Jun 13 02:21:49 CEST 2008
>>> [INFO] Final Memory: 179M/662M
>>> [INFO]
>>>
>>> (Same as before).
>>> I'll be much obliged for any further tips you might have ;)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> --
>> Jan Bartel, Webtide LLC | [hidden email] | http://www.webtide.com

Re: Large file upload to Jetty failing with HTTP 413

I'll check all those things :) Like I said - there's about 15GB left on the drive where artifactory is working, which is a bit weird. I'm not sure whether this isn't just a misleading Exception resulting from something else ... but I'm starting to think its more of an Artifactory problem rather than a Jetty problem ... however, one should never discount any possibility until proven otherwise ;)
Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mario Rübsam wrote