Jetty vs. Another Web Server or J2EE Container

Jetty vs. Another Web Server or J2EE Container

Ronald.Petty
Hi,
Could someone clear up the description of Jetty from the Main Page.

"Unlike separate server/container solutions, this means that your web server and

web application run in the same process, without interconnection overheads and

complications."

How is this different then say Tomcat loading your WAR file?  When I look at the

threads/processes in XP, I see only one java process running.  Are there other

app servers that spawn new processes?  Am I confused?

Also, why do some people want to use Jetty behind Apache instead of just using

Apache?  I assume so you can run J2EE pages, and Apache runs the normal html

pages?

Thanks.
Ron

Re: Jetty vs. Another Web Server or J2EE Container

Greg Wilkins-5

Ron,

There is a bit of history behind that statement.   When servlet engines were
first created, they did not have native HTTP support. Instead they were plugins
for apache.

Jetty was one of the first (if not THE FIRST) to have the HTTP component as
part of the servlet container.

This is no different to how Tomcat is today. Both Tomcat and Jetty have
native HTTP support - but for various reasons they still often get run
behind apache - mostly to comply with larger corp policies or other
apache plugins or load balancing etc.

People don't just use apache because C is not a good language for
writing web applications.  Java is one option for a better language
and hence the advent of servlet engines etc.

cheers