[Jetty-support] Re: Yet More Expect-Continue (but with Redirect too)

[Jetty-support] Re: Yet More Expect-Continue (but with Redirect too)

Greg Wilkins-5
tony,

I have just committed a patch to Jetty 5 CVS HEAD.

This implements my idea of only sending 100-Continues when a read is about
to be attempted from the inputstream (writer or from getParameter()).

So if a servlet (or the containers security contraints) want to reject a
request without the client sending the body, then just send the response
without trying to read anything (which would block).

I think this gives reasonable default behaviour and full control to
the servlet.

Clients do not need to send big content unless the servlet is actually
attempting to read that content.   It is the ultimate handshake.

I'd appreciate if this change could be given a fair bit of a thrashing
by as many browsers/clients as you can get your hands on.....

cheers

PS. Moving this discussion to Jetty-discuss as a more appropriate
forum for this

Tony Seebregts wrote:

> Hi Greg/Anthony,
>
> Just as an addendum ... its not just authentication that is a problem with
> requests with large bodies. A request that is going to get redirected at
> servlet level has much the same issue.
>
> Some kind of protocol level hook would be *really* useful - Greg, would
> something like this be a *huge* change to the Jetty architecture ?
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Seebregts

RE: Re: Yet More Expect-Continue (but with Redirect too)

Tony Seebregts
Hi Greg,

That's *fantastic* - thanks *hugely* much.

That should solve a whole bunch of problems for me and yeah, I'll try thrash
with all of the things I have lying around.