Jetty configuration woes

rgh

Jetty configuration woes

rgh
Hi

I've just spent the best part of the last two days trying to configure
jetty to run our application. I have trawled through the forums,
searched the web, read the javadoc of the various classes used, studied
the jetty documentation and still it took about 12 hours to get a
minimal working installation and even then I removed any references to
javamail as I simply could not get it to work.

My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
that there is paid support? I am genuinely interested in knowing why. I
would love to use jetty, I like the fact that it's small & lean, I like
that fact that it's supping local java engineers but I would like to
test it, benchmark it etc before making any long term commitment.

If it takes so long to get it working then most people will simply give
up and use tomcat or one of the other containers. Just to give a
comparison I can download tomcat and within an hour or so I can set a
data source that will work with, for example, mysql. If I don't know to
do it I can easily find doco that will tell me how to it. Now I know
that tomcat has a bigger user base but I literally could not find an
example showing me how to set up version 6 of jetty using mysql. I still
have not been able to.

I am now in the situation where I've got the application working but the
performance is little under an order of magnitude (under tomcat I can
get about 140 requests a second with my current configuration of jetty I
get about 16 requests a second). I think the problem is to do with
database pooling (I only get a maximum of 8 connections to the database)
but I have absolutely no way of working it out. I've set the
configuration in accordance with the javadoc for StandardXADataSource
but nothing has changed.

While this might sound like a rant It's intended as constructive
criticism from someone who is trying to start using jetty but has had an
incredibly frustrating time doing so.

rgh

Re: Jetty configuration woes

Elia Morling
> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
> so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
> that there is paid support? I

Good question actually. If you do ask a question on this list you are lucky
to get a reply if any at all. If you search the mailing list you will find
tons of unanswered questions and always terse replies. To be honest the
support for this product is shit and people not very helpful. I think those
that "know" how to use this product, think it's really easy. But it isn't. I
have solved all my problems after hours of trial-and-error, as the
documentation is lacking.

Sorry guys, this is the truth. It's a good product, but you're not very
helpful and your attitude is techy elitistic.

Elia

> I've just spent the best part of the last two days trying to configure
> jetty to run our application. I have trawled through the forums,
> searched the web, read the javadoc of the various classes used, studied
> the jetty documentation and still it took about 12 hours to get a
> minimal working installation and even then I removed any references to
> javamail as I simply could not get it to work.
>
> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
> so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
> that there is paid support? I am genuinely interested in knowing why. I
> would love to use jetty, I like the fact that it's small & lean, I like
> that fact that it's supping local java engineers but I would like to
> test it, benchmark it etc before making any long term commitment.
>
> If it takes so long to get it working then most people will simply give
> up and use tomcat or one of the other containers. Just to give a
> comparison I can download tomcat and within an hour or so I can set a
> data source that will work with, for example, mysql. If I don't know to
> do it I can easily find doco that will tell me how to it. Now I know
> that tomcat has a bigger user base but I literally could not find an
> example showing me how to set up version 6 of jetty using mysql. I still
> have not been able to.
>
> I am now in the situation where I've got the application working but the
> performance is little under an order of magnitude (under tomcat I can
> get about 140 requests a second with my current configuration of jetty I
> get about 16 requests a second). I think the problem is to do with
> database pooling (I only get a maximum of 8 connections to the database)
> but I have absolutely no way of working it out. I've set the
> configuration in accordance with the javadoc for StandardXADataSource
> but nothing has changed.
>
> While this might sound like a rant It's intended as constructive
> criticism from someone who is trying to start using jetty but has had an
> incredibly frustrating time doing so.
>
> rgh

Re: Jetty configuration woes

Russell Howe
Richard Heycock wrote, sometime around 25/10/06 03:36:
> Hi
>
> I've just spent the best part of the last two days trying to configure
> jetty to run our application.

Which version?

As for the rest, I'm happy to post the config. file I use here with
either Jetty 5 or 6, which includes pooled datasources and JavaMail for
comparison.

--
Russell Howe

Re: Jetty configuration woes

Greg Wilkins
Elia,

I am quiet upset by your response.

I like to think of the jetty lists as friendly places and we certainly
don't mean to be elitist.

I'm sorry if our documentation and response times sometimes is below
what you would like.   The last few months we have been very busy
with new releases, new developments, new integrations.
Plus the two main developers (myself included) have been on the
conference circuit - I've not been home for over a month and
wont be for a few more weeks.

Somewhere in there we have to earn a living as well, so we do
prioritize our paid clients - but what else would you have us do?
I'm sure you are being paid to ask your questions!

It is certainly not in an effort to push people towards paid support.
In fact we are paying junior developers to help on the support list -
but they will take time to come up to speed.  The main developers do
spend time on the lists - just not all our time.

We recognize that one of the weaknesses of Jetty is the potential
complications of putting together to powerful building blocks - but we
are working to fix that and have recently added the deployer and there
has been a lot of work done on the wiki.

So sorry if people have not jumped to and given you answers.
But remember that in open source, we are giving you a gift
of our time and skills and sometimes we have other priorities.

At the very least - rather than just complaining that
Jetty is difficult to configure - tell us what were the
problems that you had and what were the fixes that you found.
Others would benefit and we would understand better where
the documentation needs to be improved.   As it is - all I know
is that there are two users who had a hard time... I don't
know your versions or what were the issues.... so as I
sit here in the lobby of hotel #6 spending a small break
in a hectic schedule on the jetty lists.... what do you
want me to fix or explain to you??? Sorry but I'm not
telepathic!

regards

Elia Morling wrote:

>> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
>> so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
>> that there is paid support? I
>
> Good question actually. If you do ask a question on this list you are lucky
> to get a reply if any at all. If you search the mailing list you will find
> tons of unanswered questions and always terse replies. To be honest the
> support for this product is shit and people not very helpful. I think those
> that "know" how to use this product, think it's really easy. But it isn't. I
> have solved all my problems after hours of trial-and-error, as the
> documentation is lacking.
>
> Sorry guys, this is the truth. It's a good product, but you're not very
> helpful and your attitude is techy elitistic.
>
> Elia

Greg Wilkins<[hidden email]>  US: +1  3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: Jetty configuration woes

Nicholas McClellan
Greg,

I have been silently reading this list for a few months now and I have nothing but admiration for the amount of time that you and others obviously dedicate to answering questions that people ask. This is true for simple, complex, first time and repeat questions.

In my experience the answers given are always timely and polite.

Keep up the good work and thank you all for a fantastic product.

Cheers

Nick

Elia Morling wrote:

>> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
>> so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
>> that there is paid support? I
>
> Good question actually. If you do ask a question on this list you are lucky
> to get a reply if any at all. If you search the mailing list you will find
> tons of unanswered questions and always terse replies. To be honest the
> support for this product is shit and people not very helpful. I think those
> that "know" how to use this product, think it's really easy. But it isn't. I
> have solved all my problems after hours of trial-and-error, as the
> documentation is lacking.
>
> Sorry guys, this is the truth. It's a good product, but you're not very
> helpful and your attitude is techy elitistic.
>
> Elia

"I would still invade Iraq even if Iraq never existed."

George W. Bush: Monday, August 21, 2006

Re: Jetty configuration woes

ClaudioMiranda2
    I have been using Jetty, since 4.x, for personal and off-shore
projects. And what I have to say about it ? very stable and easy to
configure.

    Even with the new I/O infrastructure of jetty 6.x, it was not
difficult to configure my applications and setup jetty to run.

    Jetty is being used on solaris (x86, sparc) and linux with varying
hardware configurations.

    Related to the jetty community support (as I don't pay for), I
must say it is very good. Greg and Jan were helpful when I asked
questions (sometimes, very quickly).

have peace

Claudio Miranda

On 10/26/06, Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Elia,
>
> I am quiet upset by your response.
>
> I like to think of the jetty lists as friendly places and we certainly
> don't mean to be elitist.
>
> I'm sorry if our documentation and response times sometimes is below
> what you would like.   The last few months we have been very busy
> with new releases, new developments, new integrations.
> Plus the two main developers (myself included) have been on the
> conference circuit - I've not been home for over a month and
> wont be for a few more weeks.
>
> Somewhere in there we have to earn a living as well, so we do
> prioritize our paid clients - but what else would you have us do?
> I'm sure you are being paid to ask your questions!
>
> It is certainly not in an effort to push people towards paid support.
> In fact we are paying junior developers to help on the support list -
> but they will take time to come up to speed.  The main developers do
> spend time on the lists - just not all our time.
>
> We recognize that one of the weaknesses of Jetty is the potential
> complications of putting together to powerful building blocks - but we
> are working to fix that and have recently added the deployer and there
> has been a lot of work done on the wiki.
>
> So sorry if people have not jumped to and given you answers.
> But remember that in open source, we are giving you a gift
> of our time and skills and sometimes we have other priorities.
>
> At the very least - rather than just complaining that
> Jetty is difficult to configure - tell us what were the
> problems that you had and what were the fixes that you found.
> Others would benefit and we would understand better where
> the documentation needs to be improved.   As it is - all I know
> is that there are two users who had a hard time... I don't
> know your versions or what were the issues.... so as I
> sit here in the lobby of hotel #6 spending a small break
> in a hectic schedule on the jetty lists.... what do you
> want me to fix or explain to you??? Sorry but I'm not
> telepathic!
>
> regards
>

> Elia Morling wrote:
> >> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
> >> so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
> >> that there is paid support? I
> >
> > Good question actually. If you do ask a question on this list you are lucky
> > to get a reply if any at all. If you search the mailing list you will find
> > tons of unanswered questions and always terse replies. To be honest the
> > support for this product is shit and people not very helpful. I think those
> > that "know" how to use this product, think it's really easy. But it isn't. I
> > have solved all my problems after hours of trial-and-error, as the
> > documentation is lacking.
> >
> > Sorry guys, this is the truth. It's a good product, but you're not very
> > helpful and your attitude is techy elitistic.
> >
> > Elia

Stephen J. McConnell

It took me about 2 hours to get Jetty up and running and that included
construction of a Ant build solution for the bits I needed (and I'm not a
rocket scientist).  When the Jetty crowd post the notification of a new
release I typically update my own build scrips and run through an update
process and that takes me about 20 minutes to get to a working and validated
solution.

> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take
> 12 hours or so to get a basic working installation? Is it
> elitism? Is is the fact that there is paid support? I am
> genuinely interested in knowing why.

I'm not getting or using paid support - I just like the codebase.

> I would love to use
> jetty, I like the fact that it's small & lean, I like that
> fact that it's supping local java engineers but I would like
> to test it, benchmark it etc before making any long term commitment.

Nothing stopping that.

> If it takes so long to get it working then most people will
> simply give up and use tomcat or one of the other containers.

Personally I find Jetty 6 simpler to build and setup than Tomcat.

> Just to give a comparison I can download tomcat and within an
> hour or so I can set a data source that will work with, for
> example, mysql. If I don't know to do it I can easily find
> doco that will tell me how to it. Now I know that tomcat has
> a bigger user base but I literally could not find an example
> showing me how to set up version 6 of jetty using mysql. I
> still have not been able to.

Recommendation:  post a specific question to the support list detailing the
issue you have.  If you don't get a response then (maybe) repost after a
week.  If no response then look at an alternative product or resolve the
question by digging into the codebase and posting the solution to the
broader community.

> I am now in the situation where I've got the application
> working but the performance is little under an order of
> magnitude (under tomcat I can get about 140 requests a second
> with my current configuration of jetty I get about 16
> requests a second). I think the problem is to do with
> database pooling (I only get a maximum of 8 connections to
> the database) but I have absolutely no way of working it out.
> I've set the configuration in accordance with the javadoc for
> StandardXADataSource but nothing has changed.

Post a testcase demonstrating the problem together with benchmark figures
from Tomcat.

> While this might sound like a rant It's intended as
> constructive criticism from someone who is trying to start
> using jetty but has had an incredibly frustrating time doing so.

It does sound like a rant.

My own experience has generally been very positive - but I don't use Jetty
standalone - I only use  Jetty as an embedded solution in my own application
environment - as such I'm not exposed to the overall Jetty configuration
area (as I configure Jetty using an independent context-IOC model).  If you
detail your issue maybe someone dealing with similar concerns can contribute
there own experience or suggestions.

Cheers, Steve.

--------------------------
Stephen McConnell
mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.dpml.net

Re: Jetty configuration woes

jan_bartel
This response to Richard Heycock didn't make it onto the list
due to my email troubles. I'm posting it here for completeness,
and to get it off my chest :-)

Jan

Richard,

Richard Heycock wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just spent the best part of the last two days trying to configure
> jetty to run our application. I have trawled through the forums,
> searched the web, read the javadoc of the various classes used, studied
> the jetty documentation and still it took about 12 hours to get a
> minimal working installation and even then I removed any references to
> javamail as I simply could not get it to work.
Are you sure you checked the wiki: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Documentation
There is documentation in there on how to configure JNDI resources,
including a java mail session. The worked example for datasources shows how
to configure Derby. For other databases it is a matter of reading their
documentation to determine if they provide a DataSource implemenation
or not. If not, then you can use DBCP (which is what Tomcat uses) to
provide yourself a DataSource, or XAPool or any other database connection
pooling impl you like.

There is also a test webapp that configures a transaction manager, a mail
session and a couple of database connections.

You can find that test webapp in examples/test-jndi from a source download/checkout.
There is a readme in there that talks about building and running it.
The JNDI wiki page also mentions this test webapp with instructions for
building and running it.

> My question to the list is why is this so? Why does it take 12 hours or
> so to get a basic working installation? Is it elitism? Is is the fact
> that there is paid support? I am genuinely interested in knowing why. I
> would love to use jetty, I like the fact that it's small & lean, I like
> that fact that it's supping local java engineers but I would like to
> test it, benchmark it etc before making any long term commitment.
I would not say it was generally the case that it takes a long time
to get apps working on Jetty. Of course, depending on the complexity
of the app, some may take more time than others. We aim to make it
as simple as possible. For example, for many apps that do not use
JNDI or any external resources, it is as simple as dropping the
war or copying the exploded webapp into $jetty.home/webapps
and typing java -jar start.jar

> If it takes so long to get it working then most people will simply give
> up and use tomcat or one of the other containers. Just to give a
> comparison I can download tomcat and within an hour or so I can set a
> data source that will work with, for example, mysql. If I don't know to
> do it I can easily find doco that will tell me how to it. Now I know
> that tomcat has a bigger user base but I literally could not find an
> example showing me how to set up version 6 of jetty using mysql. I still
> have not been able to.
If you check the wiki page on JNDI resources, you will see that we welcome
contributions of more documentation, particularly on setting up different
flavours of databases etc etc, so I invite you to email me your setup and
I will see that it gets on to the wiki.

FYI, I've written and deleted several responses to your provocative
statments re "elitism", "paid support". Suffice to say that this is
open source where people contribute enormous amounts of their time and
skills *free of charge*, so I'd appreciate it if you can keep that
in mind when composing postings.

Re: Jetty configuration woes

David Yu-3
Hi Richard,

"Now I know that tomcat has a bigger user base but I literally could not find anexample showing me how to set up version 6 of jetty using mysql. I stillhave not been able to. "

Here's a sample datasource config for MySQL jdbc:

WEB-INF/web.xml

<resource-ref>
    <description>My DataSource Reference</description>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/DSTest</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

WEB-INF/jetty-env.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE Configure PUBLIC "-//Mort Bay Consulting//DTD Configure//EN" "http://jetty.mortbay.org/configure.dtd">
<Configure class="org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext">
  <New id="DSTest" class="org.mortbay.jetty.plus.naming.Resource">
    <Arg>jdbc/DSTest</Arg>
    <Arg>
     <New class="com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnectionPoolDataSource">
                 <Set name="Url">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/databasename</Set>
                 <Set name="User">user</Set>
                 <Set name="Password">pass</Set>
     </New>
    </Arg>
   </New>
</Configure>

I'll try putting some datasource configurations for other databases in wiki.

Cheers,
David