Jetty and Java 11

Vladimir Buchta
Hi all,
Given that for Java 9 an "early compatibility" release was available a few days before JDK 9 was GA, is it reasonable to expect that early compatibility version for Java 11 will be available during September 2018?
And if not can you kindly advise approx when?
Thanks a lot.

Re: Jetty and Java 11

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Vladimir Buchta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Given that for Java 9 an "early compatibility" release was available a few
> days before JDK 9 was GA, is it reasonable to expect that early
> compatibility version for Java 11 will be available during September 2018?

We don't know Oracle's plans for Java 11, so we don't know if there
will be an "early compatibility" release of JDK 11.
However, we are already building Jetty with JDK 11 early access builds.

--
Simone Bordet
http://webtide.com

Re: Jetty and Java 11

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Vladimir Buchta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Simone,
>
> many thanks for your response.
> I appologize for unclear wording. My point was that given that Java 11 GA is
> targeted to September 2018, is it reasonable to expect that there will be
> Java 11 early compatibility version of Jetty available during September or
> by end of 2018?

I don't understand what you mean.

Today we are already building Jetty 9.4.x with JDK 11 early access builds.
There will not be a "early compatibility version of Jetty" just
because JDK 11 GA will be out in September.

Can you rather tell us what is it that worries you, rather than asking
about Jetty release scheduling with respect to the JDK GA releases ?
Are you worried that Jetty 9.4.x will not work with JDK 11 ?

--
Simone Bordet
http://webtide.com

Re: Jetty and Java 11

Lord Buddha
Simone,

am also concerned about there being an early Jetty release for Java 11.   The reason for this being Java 8 being end of life in January, and perhaps like other companies have a change freeze over the holiday season meaning very little time to move large applications to a new supported/maintained platform.

The move to Java 11 comes with the removal of the deprecated jvm modules introduced in Java 9.   So am wanting to see what of those deprecated modules Jetty must now supply... and perhaps what it might optionally supply.

e.g.

   java.xml.ws
   java.xml.ws.annotation

I assume that with Java 11 that containers such as Jetty would need to supply these.  But, would you also supply java.xml.bind & java.activation.

Am I off the mark here ?

Re: Jetty and Java 11

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Lord Buddha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Simone,
>
> am also concerned about there being an early Jetty release for Java 11.
> The reason for this being Java 8 being end of life in January, and perhaps
> like other companies have a change freeze over the holiday season meaning
> very little time to move large applications to a new supported/maintained
> platform.

You don't need to, and companies have to plan for this.

> The move to Java 11 comes with the removal of the deprecated jvm modules
> introduced in Java 9.   So am wanting to see what of those deprecated
> modules Jetty must now supply... and perhaps what it might optionally
> supply.
>
> e.g.
>
>    java.xml.ws
>    java.xml.ws.annotation
>
> I assume that with Java 11 that containers such as Jetty would need to
> supply these.  But, would you also supply java.xml.bind & java.activation.
>
> Am I off the mark here ?

Others may chime in, but in my view it's not Jetty (or any container)
that should provide those modules.
If you need them in your application, just put them in WEB-INF/lib.
Or, with Jetty, you can easily write a Jetty module that puts them in
the server classpath if you really need them that way.

--
Simone Bordet
http://webtide.com

Re: Jetty and Java 11

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Lord Buddha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Simone,
>
> am also concerned about there being an early Jetty release for Java 11.

All right, we have decided to be super clear on this, in order to help
our customers and the Jetty community to move forward adopting newer
JDK versions.

Give us some time to prepare and review this document, and we will
share it publicly.

Thanks !

PS: if you are in doubt, start planning to move to JDK 9 or later *right now*.

--
Simone Bordet
http://webtide.com