Jetty: A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured in a jar file under 350KB,how?

Jetty: A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured in a jar file under 350KB,how?

Albert K.H. KWAN
On the homepage of Jetty, it says "A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured
in a jar file under 350KB"

I downloaded the jetty-5.1.3.zip and couldn't find that 350KB file,
would anyone please give me some hints?

Am i able to run Jetty out of a single jar?

Thanks.

Re: Jetty: A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured in a jar file under 350KB,how?

Chris Haynes
The standard Jetty distribution jars contain all the classes needed to configure
and run a web server in a conventional OS environment, with features such as
JSP.  These pre-packaged systems obviously use more space.

If you have a specific, constrained environment in mind, and know that not all
features are needed, you can lave out large amounts of the extras.  There are
people on this list who have put jetty into PDAs, have it running off ROM in
closed devices, etc.

If this is what you need to do, and need to get the package as small as
possible,  you will have to understand the architecture of Jetty and work out
which bits you can do without in your specific situation.  350KB is the smallest
one can get to and still have an HTTP/1.1-conformant web server, but you may
need additional features.

Whether you can (or should want to) reduce Jetty to a single jar (in addition to
the standard JRE jars) depends on your specific needs, and the amount of
re-packaging you are prepared to undertake.

HTH

Chris Haynes

"Albert K.H. KWAN" asked

> On the homepage of Jetty, it says "A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured
> in a jar file under 350KB"
>
> I downloaded the jetty-5.1.3.zip and couldn't find that 350KB file,
> would anyone please give me some hints?
>
> Am i able to run Jetty out of a single jar?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Jetty: A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured in a jar file under 350KB,how?

Chris's answer sums up the situation for Jetty 5.

However, if you want to be brave, you can also look at Jetty Experimental.
You will have to check it out of CVS and build it yourself, but it is
getting very close to usable.

It is now a very fast http/1.1 and SERVLET container and the
jar is currently 277KB with a bit of fat.

Currently it just does straight servlets, but filters are not
far away.   I also need to add session and dispatcher support
before considering web.xml, but I hope all this is not far away.

But if you just want the core of the servlet API, Jetty Experimental
will do that today - very quickly!

cheers

Albert K.H. KWAN wrote:

> On the homepage of Jetty, it says "A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured
> in a jar file under 350KB"
>
> I downloaded the jetty-5.1.3.zip and couldn't find that 350KB file,
> would anyone please give me some hints?
>
> Am i able to run Jetty out of a single jar?
>
> Thanks.

> Take this survey and enter to win a one-year sub to SourceForge.net
> Plus IDC's 2005 look-ahead and a copy of this survey
> Click here to start!  http://www.idcswdc.com/cgi-bin/survey?id=105hix

RE: Re: Jetty: A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured in a jar file under 350KB,how?

Silvio Bierman-3
Hello Greg,

I have been using Jetty as the base for our application for some time now.
It is a distributed system where each node uses an embedded Jetty server to
implement plain servlets, including session support but excluding stuff like
filters, web.xml, web-apps, JNDI etc. Until now I have always been very
satisfied (and to be honest, impressed) by the Jetty versions I have used.

What you say about Jetty experimental sounds very interesting. I get the
feeling somehow you are implying that once it gets more functionality it may
also become less agile. Is that correct? And if so: is there a chance that
later versions may support a way to use them in a lean-and-mean
configuration without manually stripping the JAR?

I really only need an HTTP server with session support. We use a homebrew
HTML component application framework (a bit like Ajax but IMHO much more
advanced and sophisticated) that requires only a single servlet per
application so the servlet part we use is small and could be done without.

Regards,

Silvio Bierman

Re: Jetty: A HTTP/1.1 server can be configured in a jar file under 350KB,how?

Greg Wilkins-5

As Jetty experiment development continues, it will be a balancing
act between have a full featured server working out of the box and
of allowing a simple core server to be used simply.

With Jetty 4 & 5 the balance has probably gone a little towards the
former - but I hope not too much.

With Jetty E (soon to be 6?) we get the chance to rebalance all over
again.   At the moment, I am definitely focused on small and simple
for E.  But soon I will be looking to fill out the features list.
However it is my intent to always keep it well focused on the simple core
and I will probably consider packaging the jars differently in order to
assist with this.

cheers