Jetty 9 Context Deployer ??

Lord Buddha
Just looked in to see if Jetty 9 was released yet and then had a quick look at the RC2.

Whaaa,  What happened to the context deployer?    Is there no longer support for deploying via context xml files.  Is all the functionality that was exposed in the context deployer still available by other means ?

examples
  • configuring session passivation on a per context basis
  • deploying a single war on multiple contexts (without duplicating the war).  (Don't ask, its legacy stuff).
Thanks for any pointers / reasons ...

David

Re: Jetty 9 Context Deployer ??

Jesse McConnell
they were merged into one directory, so in the webapps directory you can place context xml files and webapps alike...

directories that end in .d will not be actively deployed so you can have a context.xml point to stuff inside a dir like that safely....

we did this to clear up the confusion we have had expressed regarding the split between contexts and webapps

looking at the documentation I had thought this was all cleared up in the documentation already but apparently not...we need to get that done before release.

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:48 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just looked in to see if Jetty 9 was released yet and then had a quick look at the RC2.

Whaaa,  What happened to the context deployer?    Is there no longer support for deploying via context xml files.  Is all the functionality that was exposed in the context deployer still available by other means ?

examples
  • configuring session passivation on a per context basis
  • deploying a single war on multiple contexts (without duplicating the war).  (Don't ask, its legacy stuff).
Thanks for any pointers / reasons ...

David

Re: Jetty 9 Context Deployer ??

Lord Buddha
That make sense and works for us.   I guess it would be nice on the downloads to have the release notes there too (for milestone and RC versions too) so that we can see what changes are present and assess their impact without having to download a release and install to see.

We do not use any of the supplied xml config files for the configuration of jetty and make no changes to any file under the jetty tgz extract.   Rather, we have create own external jetty.xml config file containing what we need from the "example" files in the install along with a customer directory for the context deployer..   This means we are more exposed to internal changes than the average user so seeing the deployer go was a little shock.

Anyway, will go for version 8.1.9  now and look at a point release of version 9 in 6 months.

Thanks