Jetty 9.3.0 Milestone 2 release

Greg Wilkins-3

All,

Milestone 2 release of Jetty 9.3.0 should now be available from maven central.
We hope this will be our last development milestone release before we make a release candidate and move to a 9.3.0 stable release.

The headline feature in 9.3.0 is HTTP/2 support, but there is also a lot of other goodness that is there that is worthwhile trying out.

We have implemented a entirely new threading execution strategy at the IO selector and HTTP/2 multiplexing layer.    These changes are designed to improve both latency and throughput of request handling by better utilising the active thread to complete discovered/generated/parsed tasks.  This reduces latency by avoiding dispatch delays and improves throughput by using the CPU core that has a hot cache to complete a task.    Our early testing on cometd indicates that it is delivering the promised improvements.

There has also been a lot of stability work done on the semantics of servlet async IO.  A few ambiguous parts of the specification have been clarified with the servlet EG and we have created more unit tests of edge cases and nasty races.    If you are using servlet async IO then moving to 9.3 will give you a better defined and executed semantic.

Jetty-9.3 now uses the apache JSP implementation, so we are bug for bug compatible with other containers:)

We are also working on jetty CDI integration and the next release will have CDI available for webapps, servlets, filters and websockets.

It would be great if you could try out the 9.3.0.M2 release and give us any feedback before we move to release candidates.

Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]>  @  Webtide - an Intalio subsidiary
http://www.webtide.com  advice and support for jetty and cometd.

Jetty 9.3.0 API changes

John Gardiner Myers
It's a bit annoying that HttpFields.getStringField(String), etc. was
removed without prior deprecation. The method may be redundant, but such
API changes are a lot easier to deal with when there's a deprecation period.

Re: Jetty 9.3.0 API changes

Joakim Erdfelt-9
HttpFields is an internal class. (at least the server version of it is, maybe not the jetty-client version)

Also, the changes are likely to handle the new reality in Jetty 9.3, which is HTTP/2 and all it changes/brings to the table.
In many cases, deprecation of internal methods and classes is just not possible to completely support. (not sure about this specific case tho)

How/Why are you using it?

--
Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]>
Expert advice, services and support from from the Jetty & CometD experts

On 3/12/2015 2:52 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
HttpFields is an internal class. (at least the server version of it is, maybe not the jetty-client version)

Also, the changes are likely to handle the new reality in Jetty 9.3, which is HTTP/2 and all it changes/brings to the table.
In many cases, deprecation of internal methods and classes is just not possible to completely support. (not sure about this specific case tho)

How/Why are you using it?

We're using it to retrieve header fields out of an org.eclipse.jetty.client.api.Response, in order to determine what a server sent to us in its reply.

You can see the immediate calling code at
https://github.com/proofpoint/platform/blob/master/http-client/src/main/java/com/proofpoint/http/client/jetty/JettyHttpClient.java

On 3/12/2015 3:41 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
Out of curiosity, are you using 9.3.0.M2? (or which version of 9.3.0)

9.3.0.M2 indeed.