Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

kevinc
With the release of Jetty 7.6.9 the behaviour of the STOP.PORT and STOP.KEY seems to have changed.

The previous behaviour is documented at:  http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Howto/Secure_Termination

Starting with Jetty 7.6.9 the STOP.KEY is no longer generated and displayed (instead it defaults to "eclipse").

Starting with Jetty 7.6.9 the STOP.PORT is ignored unless the stopAtShutdown option is set using the following:

    <Set name="stopAtShutdown">true</Set>

This was not previously necessary.

I would like to see the behaviour go back to what it has been with all releases previous to 7.6.9, where I could simply specify a STOP.PORT and have the engine listen on that port and generate a "secure" STOP.KEY.  Currently it seems I must provide a STOP.KEY on the command-line which is visible to all users of the system.

Re: Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

kevinc
The issue with the STOP.KEY behaviour changing in 7.6.9 seems related to the following patch:

  Bug 391623 - Add option to --stop to wait for target jetty to stop

Looking at the changes made within this commit it seems that the auto-generation of the STOP.KEY will never occur as it will always default to "eclipse" and never be assigned null.

The diff can be found here (note the references to STOP.KEY/this.key):

  https://eclipse.googlesource.com/jetty/org.eclipse.jetty.project/+/b65973afdd280459b8762678d5c5341abf2680ca%5E!/#F0

Re: Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

kevinc
Just verified that this is still the case for Jetty 7.6.10.

Is there another way of configuring the STOP.KEY such that it is not visible to all other users on the system?  Or is the only option to stick with the 7.6.8 release?

Re: Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

Joakim Erdfelt-9
You can put the STOP.KEY in the start.ini
That way it is not present on the command line.

--
Joakim Erdfelt <[hidden email]>
Developer advice, services and support

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM, kevinc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just verified that this is still the case for Jetty 7.6.10.

Is there another way of configuring the STOP.KEY such that it is not visible
to all other users on the system?  Or is the only option to stick with the
7.6.8 release?

Re: Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

kevinc
Joakim Erdfelt-9 wrote
Thanks!, that works well for my use-case, and is a little cleaner than my previous method of parsing the generated value from the log file.

Re: Jetty 7.6.9: STOP.PORT & STOP.KEY behavior has changed

kevinc
It should be noted that the arguments within the "start.ini" file override the command line arguments.  This can catch you out if you are using the start.ini to provide arguments when starting a few instances and then try to stop one using the appropriate arguments via the command line.