Jetty 6.1.9 RPMs are missing

Igor E. Poteryaev
Hi, all

I just looked at Jetty download sites
http://ftp.mortbay.org/pub
http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/

and found that there are RPMs for 6.1.8, but not for 6.1.9.

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

RPM Champion needed

Greg Wilkins

Any volunteers out there to take over maintenance of the RPMs?

They are basically working, but need some TLC and somebody to
watch over them and follow the developments in jpackage etc.

None of our main developers run any RPM based OS's, so I have
to fire up and EC2 node to build and test.... hence the frequent
lag between a normal release and the RPMs.

This would be a great contribution if you wanted to give back to
the jetty community, but can't afford a support contract :-)

cheers

Igor E. Poteryaev wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I just looked at Jetty download sites
> http://ftp.mortbay.org/pub
> http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/
>
> and found that there are RPMs for 6.1.8, but not for 6.1.9.

--
Greg Wilkins<[hidden email]>                       US:  +1  3104915462
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: RPM Champion needed

Igor E. Poteryaev
Hi, Greg

Well, we have here RPM based OSes (RHEL 5.1 i386 & x86_64)
and I want to volunteer for jetty RPMs maintenance.
I have some experience in RPM development, ant and maven.
So feel free contact me for details.

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

Re: RPM Champion needed

Jesse McConnell
igor,

thats great!

I moved the deb and rpm installers to a new location in jetty-contrib the other day and have been working through updating the deb installer for jetty7 so that would be a great place to start.

http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty-contrib/trunk/installers

I am working through some more build details and the end goal is to make the whole build easier to release but getting snapshot rpm's would be a good first step for trunk builds.

Right now checking out jetty from

http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/trunk

and building the whole thing with the following command should get things setup in the basic right places to build the rpm.

> mvn -Pall-modules install

Its a little crazy still but we're working on getting things more strictly reproducible.  right now the contrib module is slurped into the trunk in the modules/contrib dir.

any problems or questions just ping us here or on irc :)

cheers!
jesse

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

jesse mcconnell

Re: RPM Champion needed

Igor E. Poteryaev
Hi, Jesse

I have a problem :)

I checked out jetty from http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/trunk
But got build error:
jah@jah ~/sources/jetty $ mvn -Pall-modules install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.mortbay.jetty
ArtifactId: jetty-parent
Version: 2-SNAPSHOT

I've searched for org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-parent:pom:2-SNAPSHOT at
snapshots.repository.codehaus.org, but found only 1-SNAPSHOT in
http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-parent/

After thar I read your svn-and-release-progress thread in this list,
and looked for jetty-parent:2-SNAPSHOT here:
 https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/pom/trunk

but did not found it.

So, where can I get jetty-parent 2-SNAPSHOT pom ?

В Чтв, 17/04/2008 в 06:48 -0500, Jesse McConnell пишет:

> igor,
>
> thats great!
>
> I moved the deb and rpm installers to a new location in jetty-contrib
> the other day and have been working through updating the deb installer
> for jetty7 so that would be a great place to start.
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty-contrib/trunk/installers
>
> I am working through some more build details and the end goal is to
> make the whole build easier to release but getting snapshot rpm's
> would be a good first step for trunk builds.
>
> Right now checking out jetty from
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/trunk
>
> and building the whole thing with the following command should get
> things setup in the basic right places to build the rpm.
>
> > mvn -Pall-modules install
>
> Its a little crazy still but we're working on getting things more
> strictly reproducible.  right now the contrib module is slurped into
> the trunk in the modules/contrib dir.
>
> any problems or questions just ping us here or on irc :)
>
> cheers!
> jesse

> --
> jesse mcconnell
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

Re: RPM Champion needed

Jesse McConnell
the trunk and contrib poms should be set to version 2 right now, they shouldn't be running off of snapshots often at all...

could you update and try again?

I'll publish a 2-snapshot though just to get one out there

jesse

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Jesse

I have a problem :)

I checked out jetty from http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/trunk
But got build error:
jah@jah ~/sources/jetty $ mvn -Pall-modules install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.mortbay.jetty
ArtifactId: jetty-parent
Version: 2-SNAPSHOT

I've searched for org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-parent:pom:2-SNAPSHOT at
snapshots.repository.codehaus.org, but found only 1-SNAPSHOT in
http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-parent/

After thar I read your svn-and-release-progress thread in this list,
and looked for jetty-parent:2-SNAPSHOT here:
 https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/pom/trunk

but did not found it.

So, where can I get jetty-parent 2-SNAPSHOT pom ?

В Чтв, 17/04/2008 в 06:48 -0500, Jesse McConnell пишет:
> igor,
>
> thats great!
>
> I moved the deb and rpm installers to a new location in jetty-contrib
> the other day and have been working through updating the deb installer
> for jetty7 so that would be a great place to start.
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty-contrib/trunk/installers
>
> I am working through some more build details and the end goal is to
> make the whole build easier to release but getting snapshot rpm's
> would be a good first step for trunk builds.
>
> Right now checking out jetty from
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/trunk
>
> and building the whole thing with the following command should get
> things setup in the basic right places to build the rpm.
>
> > mvn -Pall-modules install
>
> Its a little crazy still but we're working on getting things more
> strictly reproducible.  right now the contrib module is slurped into
> the trunk in the modules/contrib dir.
>
> any problems or questions just ping us here or on irc :)
>
> cheers!
> jesse

> --
> jesse mcconnell
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

jesse mcconnell

Re: RPM Champion needed

Igor E. Poteryaev
Hi, Jesse

After update I got build error again, but this time
I see that there is only one place with 2-SNAPSHOT dependency:

jetty-build-resources:jar:1.1-SNAPSHOT

Can you update it in repository ?

Build log:
jah@jah ~/sources/jetty $ mvn -Pall-modules clean install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
Downloading:
http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-parent/2/jetty-parent-2.pom
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/mortbay/jetty/jetty-parent/2/jetty-parent-2.pom
11K downloaded
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.mortbay.jetty
ArtifactId: jetty-parent
Version: 2-SNAPSHOT

  org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-parent:pom:2-SNAPSHOT

[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.reactor.MavenExecutionException: Cannot find parent:
org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-parent for project:
null:jetty-build-resources:jar:1.1-SNAPSHOT for project

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

Re: RPM Champion needed

Jesse McConnell
ah, I see

update again then

I think I'll remove the pom from the all-modules build, it really doesn't need to be a part of it as the build doesn't use those snapshots in general practice..

thanks!
jesse

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

jesse mcconnell

Re: RPM Champion needed

Jesse McConnell
btw, your one of the first people taking these changes to trunk for a test drive so let me know what you think of the new build setup and layout.  There will be some more baby steps as we move forward but the broad strokes should be pretty much complete now :)

jesse

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

jesse mcconnell

jesse mcconnell

Re: RPM Champion needed

Igor E. Poteryaev
Hi, Jesse

Ok. Now jetty-parent resolves correctly.

I made some progress and found several more issuesL

1. In modules/server/jetty-util
test org.mortbay.util.ajax.JSONTest.testConvertor
is locale-dependent. it breaks with LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 (It is my default
local setting, cuz I'm from Russia).

line 255:
assertTrue(js.indexOf("\"date\":\"Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 GMT 1970\"")>=0);

It works with LANG=en_US.UTF-8, of course.
It should be fixed somehow, or I can add note about LANG requirement
in wiki. What do you think ?

2. In modules/jsp/jsp-2.1 and modules/jsp/jsp-api-2.1
checkout.xml
checking out from glassfish sources does not works from behind firewall.

I'm located behind firewall and have only http proxy to internet.

To get cvs works via http proxy I done next steps:
1. cvs from RHEL distro (5.1 cvs-1.11.22-el5.i386.rpm) was replaced with
  third party cvs rpm with http proxy support.
  AFAIK, cvs got http proxy support in 1.12.11 version.
  So, i got rpm from here:
http://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/cvs/binary/feature/x86-linux/RPMS/i386/cvs-1.12.12-ximbiot.1.i386.rpm

2. I added HTTP_PROXY_HOST and HTTP_PROXY_PORT to my environment
   and made changes to "checkout" and "export" ant targets in
   modules/jsp/jsp-2.1/checkout.xml
   and to "export" target in
   modules/jsp/jsp-api-2.1/checkout.xml

I added
<property environment="env"/>

and added proxy and proxyport to cvspass and CVSROOT declaration:
<cvspass cvsroot=":pserver;proxy=${env.HTTP_PROXY_HOST};proxyport=
${env.HTTP_PROXY_PORT}:[hidden email]:/cvs" password="" />

<property name="CVSROOT" value=":pserver;proxy=
${env.HTTP_PROXY_HOST};proxyport=
${env.HTTP_PROXY_PORT}:[hidden email]:/cvs"/>

After this changes build progressed and stops in examples
There is something wrong with jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar dependency.

Build log fragment:
[INFO] Building Jetty Example :: cxf content aggregation webapp
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO]
[INFO] artifact org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-maven-plugin: checking for
updates from apache.incubating.releases
[INFO] artifact org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-maven-plugin: checking for
updates from central
[INFO] snapshot org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-maven-plugin:7.0-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.incubating.releases
[INFO] [clean:clean]
Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.pom
Downloading:
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.pom
Downloading:
http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.pom
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.pom
Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar
Downloading:
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar
Downloading:
http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/xml/bind/jaxb-impl/2.0.5/jaxb-impl-2.0.5.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-impl:jar:2.0.5

Thank all for now.

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

Re: RPM Champion needed

Jesse McConnell
Igor,

I fixed the missing jar issue, I added the sun legacy repository to that pom since the bind jars are located there but not in the m2 repo.

The other two, you are welcome to submit jira issues for with your patches :)

cheers!
jesse

--
Igor E. Poteryaev <[hidden email]>
Severnaya Kazna

jesse mcconnell

Re: RPM Champion needed

Greg Wilkins
Igor,

sorry we missed you on IRC....  Jesse is in US central timezone and
I'm in eastern Australia.   I've probably worked mostly on the RPMs,
with the main issue getting them to build with the jpackage maven
and trying to use external dependencies were possible.

Greg Wilkins<[hidden email]>                       US:  +1  3104915462
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: RPM Champion needed

Jesse McConnell
on the external dependencies note...I think we can make these packages easier to deal with now that we are producing those assemblies.

for example, pulling down one dependency, the org.mortbay.jetty:jetty-assembly:7.0.0pre0:zip will give us in one shot what a mess of scripting and copying around was doing before...

jesse