Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

Stephen Stevens
Hi all.

I just upgraded to Jetty 5.1.6, and I found that the commons-logging-api.jar
included does not contain the org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
class.

This means that following the instructions in the README.TXT to use log4j
gives you a ClassNotFoundException.

Would it be possible for the next release to contain the full
commons-logging.jar, rather than just the API?

Thanks.

Stephen

Re: Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

Christian Stöber-2
Hi Stephan,

I had the same problem. I just replaced the commons-logging-api.jar by
commons-logging.jar which solve the problem.

I'm also confused about the logging-support and the changes from version
to version.

Bye
Christian

Stephen Stevens schrieb:

> Hi all.
>
> I just upgraded to Jetty 5.1.6, and I found that the commons-logging-api.jar
> included does not contain the org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
> class.
>
> This means that following the instructions in the README.TXT to use log4j
> gives you a ClassNotFoundException.
>
> Would it be possible for the next release to contain the full
> commons-logging.jar, rather than just the API?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stephen

Re: Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

jan_bartel
Christian,

I've just updated the tutorial entry for logging to clarify that you
need the full commons-logging.jar  if you want to use any other
commons-logging logger other than the Jetty default implementation.
This should get pushed onto the website with the next release,
scheduled for the next day or so.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> I had the same problem. I just replaced the commons-logging-api.jar by
> commons-logging.jar which solve the problem.
>
> I'm also confused about the logging-support and the changes from version
> to version.
>
> Bye
> Christian
>
> Stephen Stevens schrieb:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I just upgraded to Jetty 5.1.6, and I found that the
>> commons-logging-api.jar
>> included does not contain the org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
>> class.
>>
>> This means that following the instructions in the README.TXT to use log4j
>> gives you a ClassNotFoundException.
>>
>> Would it be possible for the next release to contain the full
>> commons-logging.jar, rather than just the API?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> Send instant messages to your online friends
>> http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

RE: Re: Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

Stephen Stevens-2
Hi Jan.

Can I just ask for the rationale behind just including the
commons-logging-api.jar, rather than commons-logging.jar? Given that they
both come in the CL download, and that there is a miniscule size difference
between the two, that you automatically then get JDK and log4j logging "for
free", and that log4j is in Jetty extra anyway?

This is purely selfish - I have been able to deploy Jetty simply and easily
for years just using the latest Jetty download, and now it will just be
another thing to remember.

Couldn't you *please* leave the documentation as-is and use
commons-logging.jar?

Regards,

Stephen

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> I had the same problem. I just replaced the commons-logging-api.jar by
> commons-logging.jar which solve the problem.
>
> I'm also confused about the logging-support and the changes from version
> to version.
>
> Bye
> Christian
>
> Stephen Stevens schrieb:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I just upgraded to Jetty 5.1.6, and I found that the
>> commons-logging-api.jar
>> included does not contain the org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
>> class.
>>
>> This means that following the instructions in the README.TXT to use log4j
>> gives you a ClassNotFoundException.
>>
>> Would it be possible for the next release to contain the full
>> commons-logging.jar, rather than just the API?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> Send instant messages to your online friends
>> http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

Greg Wilkins-5

Stephen,

I have to admit that the whole logging thing in Jetty is a disaster.
It was a disaster the moment I moved to JCL!

The whole discovery thing, combined with the fact that lots of
webapps bundle JCL in web-inf just does not work well.   I have twisted and
turned and changed and changed again trying to find a solution that
works for everybody.

Switching to the -api version was one of those twists along the way
and I will switch back, as it did not help.

The solution is to move to Jetty 6 which dumps JCL :-)

regards

Stephen Stevens wrote:

> Hi Jan.
>
> Can I just ask for the rationale behind just including the
> commons-logging-api.jar, rather than commons-logging.jar? Given that they
> both come in the CL download, and that there is a miniscule size difference
> between the two, that you automatically then get JDK and log4j logging "for
> free", and that log4j is in Jetty extra anyway?
>
> This is purely selfish - I have been able to deploy Jetty simply and easily
> for years just using the latest Jetty download, and now it will just be
> another thing to remember.
>
> Couldn't you *please* leave the documentation as-is and use
> commons-logging.jar?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen

Re: Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

Tony Thompson
I would agree that logging is a disaster.  It was the biggest issue to
deal with in moving from Jetty 4 to Jetty 5.  I am running Jetty
embedded so that made it even worse trying to deal with classloader
issues, etc.  Since Jasper uses JCL, how does Jetty 6 make this better?
Because, it seems that you will still have to include one of the commons
logging JARs so that Jasper will work.

Tony

Stephen Stevens wrote:
> Hi Jan.
>
> Can I just ask for the rationale behind just including the
> commons-logging-api.jar, rather than commons-logging.jar? Given that
they
> both come in the CL download, and that there is a miniscule size
difference
> between the two, that you automatically then get JDK and log4j
logging "for
> free", and that log4j is in Jetty extra anyway?
>
> This is purely selfish - I have been able to deploy Jetty simply and
easily
> for years just using the latest Jetty download, and now it will just
be

> another thing to remember.
>
> Couldn't you *please* leave the documentation as-is and use
> commons-logging.jar?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen

Today
>>>Register for a JBoss Training Course.  Free Certification Exam
>>>for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005. For more info
visit:

>>>http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7628&alloc_id=16845&op=click
log
>>files
>>for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>>searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD
SPLUNK!

>>http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click

http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: Jetty 5.1.6 and Log4j

Greg Wilkins-5
Tony Thompson wrote:
> I would agree that logging is a disaster.  It was the biggest issue to
> deal with in moving from Jetty 4 to Jetty 5.  I am running Jetty
> embedded so that made it even worse trying to deal with classloader
> issues, etc.  Since Jasper uses JCL, how does Jetty 6 make this better?
> Because, it seems that you will still have to include one of the commons
> logging JARs so that Jasper will work.

Jetty 6 uses it's own logging mechanism which can log to stderr or to SLF4J.
SLF4J can emulate JCL and/or feed JCL.  So the following options are available:

  Jetty  ---------------> SLF4J  -> Log
  Jasper --> JCL-SLF4J ----^
  Other  -----^

But if they wish to use JCL as part of their core logging, this
will look like:

  Jetty -----> SLF4J ----> Log
  Jasper ----> JCL --------^
  Other --------^