Java SE 7 U51

Silvio Bierman
Hello all,

The latest Java release introduces a security policy changes described in

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u-relnotes-515228.html

which implies that from here on server sockets in combination with a SecurityManager by are default restricted to the "ephemeral port range" which on most current platforms excludes the range 1024-32767.

We use embedded Jettty 9 servers and habitually use ports in the range 1100-9000. Is there any chance this change will hurt us? Or in other words: does Jetty use a SecurityManager?

Cheers,

Silvio

Re: Java SE 7 U51

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Silvio Bierman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The latest Java release introduces a security policy changes described in
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u-relnotes-515228.html
>
> which implies that from here on server sockets in combination with a
> SecurityManager by are default restricted to the "ephemeral port range"
> which on most current platforms excludes the range 1024-32767.
>
> We use embedded Jettty 9 servers and habitually use ports in the range
> 1100-9000. Is there any chance this change will hurt us? Or in other words:
> does Jetty use a SecurityManager?

It does not.

--
Simone Bordet
http://webtide.com

Re: Java SE 7 U51

Silvio Bierman
On 01/17/2014 06:13 PM, Simone Bordet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Silvio Bierman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The latest Java release introduces a security policy changes described in
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u-relnotes-515228.html
>>
>> which implies that from here on server sockets in combination with a
>> SecurityManager by are default restricted to the "ephemeral port range"
>> which on most current platforms excludes the range 1024-32767.
>>
>> We use embedded Jettty 9 servers and habitually use ports in the range
>> 1100-9000. Is there any chance this change will hurt us? Or in other words:
>> does Jetty use a SecurityManager?
> It does not.

Thank you very much.