Jar files go where?

RobinDesHautbois
I have a project where some jar files go in /opt/jetty/lib and others in the WEB-INF/lib of a web app. I want to move as many of these jars to /opt/jett/lib (those that are normally provided by the jetty distro). In many cases, this is fine and dandy: JSP pages compile and excecute perfectly. But in other cases, classes are not found unless the jar is in WEB-INF/lib.

Does anyone know where I can find documentation that clearly makes the difference between these 2 locations: what they do, in what circumstances and why?

Thanks!