JSP implementation confusion

Philippe Marschall
Hi

I'm a bit confused when it comes to the JSP implementation Jetty uses.
At first glance it seems you're using the reference implementation from
GlassFish. However whereas the GlassFish implementaiton only has a
JSR-199 compiler and therefore requires a JDK you also seem to have a
JDT compiler and therefore also ship JDT core.

Second the servlet implementation classes (Request, Resonse, Sesion, …)
don't seem to be visible to the application classloader (which is good)
but the JSP compier classes and the whole of JDT core itself seem to be
visible to the application classloader. Is this intentional?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: JSP implementation confusion

Jan Bartel-3
Hi Philippe,

Yes, we use Jasper from Glassfish. It actually contains the
capabilities to support various different compilation types, detecting
at runtime what is available. For our osgi environment, we ensure that
we explicitly disable the jsr199 compiler as it requires a special
classpath that is not present in the osgi world:
https://java.net/jira/browse/JSP-21. For jetty-9, by default it will
actually use the jsr199 compiler, but you can turn that off and use
the JDT compiler we ship. In older versions of jetty, the JDT compiler
was needed (can't remember the specifics of which version, you'd have
to check the wiki and docs).

Probably a good point that we could disable access to the
org.apache.jasper.* classes by default. You can do it yourself using
the setSytemClasses() call on WebAppContext if you like:
http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/jetty-classloading.html

On 5 August 2013 19:55, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm a bit confused when it comes to the JSP implementation Jetty uses. At
> first glance it seems you're using the reference implementation from
> GlassFish. However whereas the GlassFish implementaiton only has a JSR-199
> compiler and therefore requires a JDK you also seem to have a JDT compiler
> and therefore also ship JDT core.
>
> Second the servlet implementation classes (Request, Resonse, Sesion, …)
> don't seem to be visible to the application classloader (which is good) but
> the JSP compier classes and the whole of JDT core itself seem to be visible
> to the application classloader. Is this intentional?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Jan Bartel <[hidden email]>
www.webtide.com – Developer advice, services and support

On 06.08.13 00:41, Jan Bartel wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> Yes, we use Jasper from Glassfish. It actually contains the
> capabilities to support various different compilation types, detecting
> at runtime what is available. For our osgi environment, we ensure that
> we explicitly disable the jsr199 compiler as it requires a special
> classpath that is not present in the osgi world:
> https://java.net/jira/browse/JSP-21. For jetty-9, by default it will
> actually use the jsr199 compiler, but you can turn that off and use
> the JDT compiler we ship. In older versions of jetty, the JDT compiler
> was needed (can't remember the specifics of which version, you'd have
> to check the wiki and docs).

Thank you for the explanation.

> Probably a good point that we could disable access to the
> org.apache.jasper.* classes by default. You can do it yourself using
> the setSytemClasses() call on WebAppContext if you like:
> http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/jetty-classloading.html

I see, I need to configure the server classes. Is this an area where you
would accept a patch?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: JSP implementation confusion